Explanation

Jordan glared at the young one. His voice was deep, like he was in charge or even had the guts to command anyone. Yet what he said wasn't a command. It was more pleading. He, himself, wasn't that old. It was only the tiredness and exhaustion on top of sorrow that made his appearance haggard.

  Jordan tried to pull away, yet failed. He sighed. This guy was strong.

  Going slack, he asked, "The who are you?" he paused, finally meeting that golden gaze. "And what are you doing here?" he added almost as an afterthought.

Finally, looking dead square into his eyes, the guy said, "Hmmm. It might help if you know me." He released Jordan. "I am Shanar. And, I was sent here to remove the dead by my royal order." Shanar hoped the old man didn't pick out the lie in his tone.

  Jordan froze. "By... your... royal order!?" His voice got progressively louder as he spoke those four words.

  Shanar looked away, sheepishly. "Yes." he muttered, "And, who are you?"

  "Jordan." he said simply. "That still doesn't explain why and what you are doing here."

  "Uhh..." Shanar started then was interrupted by piercing wails in the distance. "Well..." The wails got louder as they grew closer. Soon, he guessed, lights would accompany those wails. "I... I'll leave you now." He said quickly before glancing around frantically and darted into the Wood.

  Jordan stared after Shanar wondering just what scared the young man. Sighing and turning away from his departure, Jordan settled down next to Celeste.

  He would keep her company until they took her away from him, just like Cylendra.