Dear Him

Dear Him is written by | VanessaLain |

Synopsis:

Rebecca Whyte went missing for three months and when she returned, created more questions than answers. Her best friend knows something no one else does, and her mother wants to get to the bottom of it all.

Everything seems to boil down to a single question-

Who is the mysterious Him?

Review:

I'm personally not a huge fan of the interactions between the Rebecca and the boy, but I love the writing style that VanessaLain uses. The switch between the mother's perspective, the diary, Kristina, and Rebecca was captivating and gave insight into the different perspectives. It really added a layer of authenticity to the story, which I appreciate.

As a ballet dancer, I have to say that the description of how Kristina dances seems a bit strange, simply because it seems to always imply a contemporary style. Also, the description of the "ballet dresses" for auditions seemed a bit strange to me as well, since typically one goes to auditions in a leotard that fits the audition requirements. TL: DR, if you're a dancer, use suspension of belief with the dance-related things. 

I love how even though the character arcs are different, they converge at different points. Linda's (Rebecca's mom) journey is especially interesting to me since it's a perspective rarely used in stories like this.

There were a few grammar mistakes here and there, however, they were never glaringly obvious to me. 

The chapters were slightly shorter, which made it a nice fast-paced read. 

  Rating: [ ★ ][ ★ ][ ★ ][ ★ ][      ]  

Playlist:

1) Bellyache by Bille Eilish
2) Colors by Halsey
3) An Epilogue as A Prologue by I The Mighty
4) Psychomania by I The Mighty
5) Hold On Till May by Pierce The Veil

You can read Dear Him at: https://www.wattpad.com/story/153237375-dear-him-thewattys2018