Chapter 5/Part 1 ~ Oysters

An incessant thudding at Soyle's bed-shroom door spoiled her mood. Deeply unsatisfied, she pushed herself up off Eraz and pulled her silk robe around her smooth skin. It was the only Amphelian embrace she could enjoy for a decent amount of time.

"Must he interrupt every time? Surely whatever thought Horis has had can wait until the luncheon banquet," said Soyle, throwing herself into her deep piskie's-comfort seat to brood.

"Eraz! I've had a thought!" Horis called, continuing to knock.

"Emperor-to-be gets excited by thoughts. Does not get them often," Eraz said with an apologetic smile as he tied a white linen wrap around his delectable thighs.

"Truly? He's managed to inflict one of his rare thoughts on us every night, both before and after breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, desert and supper for the last month! I've an itch that needs attention immediately." Soyle huffed at him and crossed her arms as he tried to win her back with a kiss. The rich molasses of his tongue would not make up for his friend's interruption this time.

"Soyle can scratch while Eraz tends to Horis," Eraz cooed in her ear.

She whacked him on his muscular chest. "I've been doing too much of my own scratching lately, Eraz!"

The block-headed bird opened the door anyway and greeted Horis with a warm coo.

"At it again, you two! Do you spend any time out of bed at all? I can only hope to be so lucky if this latest thought of mine pays off," Horis said, barging in.

"Has Dame Eggy not been swinging from your treetop to satisfaction?" Soyle asked, having a thought of her own. She sauntered over to exchange kisses on the cheek with the Emperor-to-be and shut him in with them.

"I've set my eye on the forbidden fruit and I need Eraz' help to pluck it."

Soyle sat on the edge of her slumber-cup with her robe barely covering her darned over-ripe fruit. "You can have him when I'm finished with him. It's up to you if you sit outside and wait or join."

Eraz trotted over and shifted her hem down to her knee. If he wore anything over his bulging chest she would have grabbed him by it and dragged him down, but unfortunately his inky skin had moments earlier been slathered in oil and offered no such grip.

"We've no time. I found something remarkable while I was out on a flight after our game of cards last night. If we're to get there and back before lunch we'll have to leave now."

"Then we will just have to miss lunch!" Soyle growled and threw open her robe.

Horis gasped in horror. "Miss lunch! That would be improper for an Emperor-to-be."

"Eraz is too hungry to miss lunch."

"What of my hunger, Eraz?" She tried to wrestle him off as he tucked her robe back around her.

"Missing lunch will not fix this," Eraz said and took her into his thick arms. "Emperor-to-be must promise to leave door of Eraz and Soyle un-knocked after lunch."

"And for all of the next week!" Soyle seethed. Being engulfed by Eraz' fragrance and muscle did not help her frustration at all.

"I'll try to let you lovebirds have some peace. But I do hope you will come with us now, Lady Soyle. What I found is remarkable."

"Lady Soyle is too itchy to—"

"I'm coming Eraz! And you will make sure I do later or I'll pluck both of you bald and use your feathers to tickle my fancy!"

"Wonderful. She has such a fun way about her, doesn't she, Eraz?" Horis smiled and trotted out, not even giving Soyle a moment to dress. At least the fashions the birds had brought over were easy to handle in any rush, and more comfortable than any Tyvern garment.