Believe in Me- Chapter 36: You Are Not Alone

Earlier that night, after escaping the police, jumping in front of a bus and another shooting of a hitman neighbour, the trio had paid a visit to Kitty Riley, a journalist that was at the trial of Moriarty. Flora had recognised the ginger haired woman who had sat behind her in the gallery, but she wasn't what she was cracked up to be. She had, in fact, been helping Moriarty and was planning to publish a story telling the world Sherlock was a fake. Saying that the detective had paid the criminal to pretend to be a slippery character. John and Flora didn't believe this for one second. Moriarty had escaped the grasps of Sherlock and had disappeared to God knows where. Sherlock had left to go somewhere and do something he apparently needed to do on his own. John and Flora had payed Mycroft a visit and it seemed he was in a state of guilt. Mycroft had fed Moriarty Sherlock's life story in order for the Irish man to tell them some other sort of information.

But the three of them were now in a lab at St Bart's. Sherlock was sat on the floor bouncing a rubber ball against the table in front if him.

"The computer code is key to this," Sherlock said keeping hold of the ball and bouncing it no more. "If we find it, we can use it and beat Moriarty at his own game."

"What do you mean bye use it?" Flora asked.

"He used it to create a false identity," he explained. "So we can use it to break into the records and destroy Richard Brook."

"And bring back Jim Moriarty," said John.

Sherlock stood up. "Somewhere in 221B, somewhere, on the day of the verdict, he left it hidden." He turned and faced the bench, placing both his hands on the surface. Flora walked up to Sherlock and stood beside him, unconsciously mimicking his stance. Both of them stared ahead, thinking and John sat down at a bench.

"What did he touch?" Flora asked looking at Sherlock and drumming her fingers on the bench.

"An apple," Sherlock said thinking about Jim's visit to the flat. "Nothing else."

"Did he write anything down?" Questioned John.

"No," Sherlock shook his head.

Flora drew in a breath and again, she unconsciously mimicked the detective by tapping her fingers. Sherlock lifted the fingers of his right hand, hesitates for a moment, then began to drum the beat of a specific rhythm. Binary code. He lifts his head as Flora sighed heavily, unaware of Sherlock's sharpened expression. Straightening up, Sherlock turned his back to her, took his phone out of his pocket and started to type a text message. To Jim Moriarty.

Come and play.

Bart's Hospital rooftop.

-SH

PS. Got something of yours you might want back.

Sherlock sent the message and tucked his phone away in his jacket pocket, then turned back towards the bench, eyes full of thought.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

A couple of hours passed by, dawn breaking. They had been awake the whole, very eventful, night. But none of them felt tired. Except John, who was asleep. Sherlock was still in the same place, but was now sat on a chair with his feet rested on the bench. John and Flora were also sat on stools nearby, John with his head rested on his arms and eyes closed. Then, his phone rang which made her jerk awake. He lifted his head tiredly and answers his phone.

"Yeah, speaking," he murmured. Sherlock stared into space while Flora watched John curiously.

"What?" John said sounding shocked. He got to his feet. "What happened? Is she okay?" He listened for a moment. "Oh my God. Right, yes, I'm coming." He put his phone away in his pocket.

"What is it?" Flora asked worriedly.

"Paramedics," John replied. "Mrs Hudson's been shot."

"What? how?" Sherlock asked calmly while Flora looked horrified.

John started frantically: "Well, probably one of the killers you managed to attract... Jesus. She's dying, Sherlock. Let's go." He turned towards the door with Flora at his heels.

"You go," Sherlock replied disinterestedly. "I'm busy."

John and Flora turned back to face him and they look appalled. "Busy?" John repeated.

"Thinking," Sherlock replied simply. "I need to think."

"Doesn't she mean anything to you?" John snapped. "You once half killed a man because he laid a finger on her."

Sherlock shrugged. "She's my landlady."

"She's dying... You machine!" He looked down shaking his head. Flora put a reassuring hand on his shoulder and gave Sherlock a soft glare.

"Sod this. Sod this," he headed towards the door and Flora stayed on the spot. "You stay here if you want, on your own."

"Alone is what I have, alone protects me," Sherlock said darkly.

John opened the door and looked back angrily. "No, friends protect people." He stormed out of the room,leaving Flora behind. Sherlock lifted his gaze to the door and then to Flora.

"Aren't you going to go with him?" He asked.

"Of course," Flora said softly walking over to him. "But you have to understand, Sherlock. You are not alone," she bent down and kissed Sherlock on the cheek then left without another word...

I'm waiting...

JM