Chapter 24

"It's okay, we're not going to hurt you," Violet told the puppy softly. She nodded towards Riley, gesturing for him to come closer.

"Hi there," Riley greeted the puppy. "What are you doing here all by yourself?"

The tiny dog blinked his round brown eyes.

"Um...I was asweep here with mommy and daddy, and when I waked up, they were gone." His voice was high-pitched and trembling. "Where did they go?"

"I don't know," said Riley gently. "Can you tell us your name?"

"Nikolai," the puppy squeaked.

"Hi there Nikolai, my name is Riley," Riley replied. "And these are my friends Ricochet and Violet. Do you know your mommy and daddy's names?"

"Mommy and daddy," Nikolai replied.

"No, no, do they have other names than that?" said Riley with a slight chuckle.

"I don't think so," said Nikolai. He shrank down to the floor. "I'm not 'upposed to talk to stwangers."

"Well, we're nice strangers," Riley reassured him. "We could help you look for your mommy and daddy."

"Maybe they went out to hunt?" Ricochet suggested.

Violet shook her head. "There's no way they would leave a puppy this young by himself. The kid looks barely old enough to be weaned."

"What do your parents look like?" Riley asked Nikolai.

"Um...my mommy is black and white, and so is my daddy. But he has spots," Nikolai replied.

"That's useful," Violet snorted under her breath.

"Well come with us, Nikolai," said Riley. "We'll go find your mommy and daddy."

Nikolai didn't budge. Riley bent over and gently picked him up by the scruff. Nikolai fought him at first, but then relaxed. Quickly, Riley and the others hurried back to the rest of the platoon.

"What the hell is that!?" Maverick exclaimed upon seeing Nikolai.

"It's called a puppy, Mav," said Violet dryly. "Have you never seen one before?"

"He says his parents were sleeping here with him, but when he woke up, they were gone," Ricochet explained. With a frown, he added, "Something doesn't seem right. I don't think any parents would leave a pup this young by himself."

Riley felt Nikolai trembling.

"I want them to come back now!" the puppy whimpered.

"I'm sure we'll find them soon, little one," Nimble soothed.

They waited a while for the rain to let up and then went outside. Riley had Ricochet carry Nikolai while he tried to pick up the trails of any other dogs. It was difficult, given that the ground was soaked, but he managed to pick up two faint scents.

"I think I can smell two dogs, but I'm not sure which direction they went in," said Riley.

Maverick rolled his eyes. "Well that's real fuckin' helpful."

"Mav, watch your language, there's a kid here," said Blackjack.

"Why don't we split up to search?" Sky suggested.

"That's a good idea," Riley agreed.

He went ahead with Ricochet, Violet, and Nimble, while the others went off in another direction.

"Mommy, daddy, where are you!?" Nikolai called.

Riley tried to pick up the scent again, but wasn't having much luck. As they rounded another building, another, much stronger scent came to his nose—blood.