thirteen

Her stance was frozen as she watched the forest, the wind picked up slightly, giving a light howl in the air as it passed the many leaves and branches. She was waiting for something to emerge, but it was obvious that the noise was far past the wooded area.

James watched her from below, he wasn't sure what he wanted her to do. He knew what the noise was, and it wasn't something he'd want her to see but he also didn't want her to go tell anyone about it. He was just as unsure as she was.

Nibbling on her lip, she turned her back to the forest, it was silent for the last few minutes.

"Maybe it was just an animal in pain and it finally passed away..." She mumbled to the dog. His eyes grew sad knowing the truth.

"I'll see you tomorrow buddy." She stroked his head before walking away. Giving her one last look James turned his back and made his way back 'home' but stopped as the noise once against returned.

This time though it sounded like a screech, a painful ear filling screech and Rosalie heard it too. Whipping her head around quickly she looked back to the forest. Her eyes filled with determination, she felt the pain of it through her body.

"I have to go help it..." With that, she ran off towards the noise without a second thought. James followed her, but he attempted to stop her, trying to grab onto her sleeves or legs, but she simply ignored the dogs' actions. He had to do something to stop her.

Tripping and slipping constantly made it hard for Rosalie to go very fast. The strong rain over the last few days made the mud and ground extremely slippery or extremely boggy.

She did not care how dirty her uniform got as another outcry of pain entered her ears.

"James stop it!" She finally addressed the dog which had been harassing her, constantly barking and biting her clothes. "We have to help it!"

Out of anyone, James knew it needed help but there was nothing either of them could do. Emerging from the forest there laid a large patch of grass, the moonshine lit up the area, showing all of natures beauty. At the very end of the long stretch of grass laid the Whomping Willow. Unfortunately, something Rosalie was far too familiar with since last year when Ron got the flying car stuck it in. From what she remembered, it wasn't very friendly.

"Is it in the whomping willow?" Her speed had become a slow walking pace as she approached the large aggressive tree. Her breathing had quickened once again, she had no idea what it could be, but she knew it was in pain. Should she of asked for help before trying to find it all alone? But who could she ask?

A low dark growl took her out of thought, and to her surprise, it was James, who stood in front of her, his body low, hairs up and teeth showing.

"J-James...?" Rosalie stuttered staring down at the dog, whose demeanour had suddenly changed. His canines showed as he gave another low growl. This isn't what James wanted to do, but what choice did he have? He couldn't let her go any further, even if it meant to destroy her trust in him.

"What are you doing? It needs our help!" Rosalie tried to act confidently but James didn't move. She took a step back from him, fear now showing in her eyes. She raised her arms up as she controlled her breathing, she didn't know why he was acting like that.

James gave a loud and vicious bark to the young witch, causing her to jump and slip to the ground. With a hmph she felt pain strike through her body.

She slowly raised herself up onto her elbows, her eyesight immediately looking to the large, dark scruffy dog.

"Jame-" Her word got cut off by the sudden jump from him, causing Rosalie to scream. However, he did not attack, only he stayed on top, growling in her face. Whimpering slightly Rosalie backed away, her legs kicking as she tried to find friction under her feet on the slippery floor.