2- Excluded

[ edited ]

-

WHEN THE BELL sounds for the end of English, I sigh in relief.

My chair scrapes back loudly, along with everyone else's and the buzz of conversation starts up as we all rush out. I have music next, which I really enjoy. I enjoy it alone too, might I add.

I stuff my books in my bag roughly, not caring that the pages are slowly getting destroyed, and force the zip shut on my full, heavy school bag.

Uh, this will be fun to carry all the way to the music classroom, all the way across the other side of the f-ing school!

I stagger under the weight of my book stuffed bag as I sling it over my back, before stumbling slowly towards the music room. I feel someone tug on the back of my bag and I jolt back, my arms flailing as I try to keep my balance.

"Ow! What the fu-?" I cry, spinning around and glaring at a beaming face.

"Hey!" Hayden laughs, the other boys behind him, and I mentally groan.

Point to Cassidy for looking like a flailing octopus crossed with a turtle as you tried to keep your balance.

"You know there's nicer ways to say hi then nearly pulling someone over." I say, rolling my eyes and trying not to feel embarrassed.

"Is there really?" he asks sarcastically, pretending to be shocked.

"No shit Sherlock." I laugh

"Why are you walking alone?" He asks me, falling into step beside me.

"Uh..." I trail off, my gaze flicking over to Cindy and Monique, arms linked and whispering into each others ears, "y'know, the path isn't very wide."

"Oh." he says simply, following my gaze, "that sucks."

"I gave up trying to be a third wheel." I sigh, shrugging.

"Well, bikes do only have two wheels." he says

"And we've outgrown tricycles." I finish

"That quote."

"Pretty amazing."

I dump my bag next to his on the metal bag rack, sighing in relief as the weight is lifted off my back. I pull out my music book and pencil case and walk ahead into the classroom.

Monique and Cindy are occupying the middle and I won't even try to sit next to them. The four bitches are up the back with the four popular boys. The front row is already filled so that leaves only the second last row which is half filled.

I sit directly behind Cindy and Monique, trying to eavesdrop on their conversation. My eyes widen with confusion and surprise as Hayden dumps his stuff on the desk next to me. He sends a dimpled grin at me as he flops down in the uncomfortable, plastic chair.

"Can't have you being a third wheel." he says, unable to stop smiling like an idiot.

"Nah. Tricycles are so last week." I say, "but seriously, why don't you go sit with your friends?"

"You are my friend! And you don't go all weird just cause I'm a guy. You're just... yourself around everyone." he says

"Well I can't really be Barack Obama." I say, giving him a sarcastic smile.

"See what I mean?" he laughs, "some girls just won't be themselves around guys."

"Class! Attention!" Mr Green, our music teacher calls

The conversation reduces to a few whispers and then to just shuffling before silence falls upon the room.

Well, not total silence, but as close to it as you'll ever get in a high school classroom. I can still hear whispers coming from behind me.