14. Zuuro

"You look like crap." Fallon comments as I drop myself into my usual seat at our table Sunday evening, with dark circles under my eyes, and still wearing the same sweatpants and sweatshirt I've been in all weekend.

"Are you still not sleeping?" she asks.

I shrug. "Not really. I got a few hours Saturday after practice, but that's it." I tell her, not making eye contact, and leaving out that the reason I'm not sleeping is because I keep seeing Lane lying motionless and bleeding on the gym floor every time I close my eyes. Not even having his sweatshirt helps.

"And still nothing from Lane?"

I shake my head, picking unenthusiastically at the food on my plate. I don't really feel like eating today, but I know I need to, so I shove down a forkful anyway.

I waited for Lane's call on Thursday, but it never came. Fallon said she's tried calling and texting as well, but her texts have all been left unanswered, and her calls go straight to voicemail. Rationally, I know that's likely because Lane's dad still has his phone. But a very irrational and worried part of me says it's because something catastrophic happened, and Lane's health took a turn for the worse.

Obviously, we still have our emotional bond, so I can still feel him, but that only tells me where his emotional state is at the moment. I have no clue how he's doing physically, or whether he's in pain, or if any of his symptoms have gotten worse. I only know that right now he's asleep, and he has been for hours, because it's the only time I don't feel him.

"Well, I'm sure he's alright. And we'll see him tomorrow, right?" she chimes; trying to get me to see the bright side in all of this. As if there is one.

I nod, just hoping that's still true. "Did he tell you whether he was coming back tonight, or tomorrow morning?" I ask. I'm kicking myself for not asking that question before he left, but I didn't think of it until it was already too late.

"I'm not sure. I doubt he'd come back tonight though." Fallon says. Considering the time, I'm highly doubting it too. If he was planning on returning tonight, he'd already be here.

I nod again; disappointed.

And then, shocking us both, Tallon speaks up. "He's taking a cab in early tomorrow morning." He says. His voice is much deeper than I'd imagined.

"You've talked to him?" Fallon asks; looking about as confused – and a little surprised that he spoke – as I am.

He shrugs, directing his gaze towards his plate. He's speaking, but he's still extremely shy. "He's in Manhattan, Fal, it's not like he's on the other side of the globe. I went to see him yesterday."

That's true, he is still really close, but I guess in my head visiting wasn't an option because he was supposed to be resting. That, and I doubt his dad would've taken kindly to me showing up at their apartment anyway. "How was he?"

"Bored." Tallon replies after a brief pause. "His dad has been watching him like a hawk to make sure he doesn't overdo anything. He said he's lucky he even gets to take a shower alone."

I can't help but smile at that, because it sounds like something he'd say. Stars, I miss him. I miss his smile, and his laugh, and the way he smells, and just having him here with me. It's crazy to think that I've only known him for such a short time, yet he's woven his way so deeply into my life that now I can barely stand a few days without him. How I managed to survive the years without him before this, now seems completely baffling.

"But he seemed well?" I ask.

Tallon nods. "From what I could tell."

Good. That's good. That means him going back home was the right call. Yes, it sounds like his dad might be annoying him a little, but at least he's forcing him to take it easy right now and get the rest he needs. I don't think he would have done that here. I think he would have been right back in class the next day, pushing himself, and making his recovery ten times harder.