6 / Ignorance

Chapter 6: Ignorance

He's alive, was the first thought that passed through me.

My heart clenched as I continued to stare at the young Tyler, who now, is called Evans.

After I came to the terms that he was well alive, I ran out of his room and told Erin I wasn't feeling well and that I'd walk home.

I couldn't handle being in her house at the moment.

The walk home took less than ten minutes, and right when I stood in front of the front door, I unlocked it and ran upstairs when I closed the door behind me.

I'm so stupid, I repeatedly told myself.

As a kid, I always knew Tyler had a younger sister, but I never got along with her. They were both born the same year but he was born towards the beginning of the year. Erin was born on December.

That's why they were always talking to each other. They're siblings.

A trail of tears left me, and I didn't bother swiping them away. I let them fall.

I pulled open my night stand drawer and grabbed the photo of Tyler and I at his house a month before my dad broke the news to me that we'd be leaving.

I clenched the photo to my chest and lied down flat on my back, just staring at my ceiling as memories that I thought were long gone came back.

My dad arrived home like clockwork at seven o'clock, but I stayed upstairs, claiming that I needed rest, which he was happy to give me.

When school came the next day, I avoided Tyler like the plague for reasons I still don't know why.

I guess it's still hard to believe that he's alive after all this time.

On Friday, I woke up, excited that I had the weekend not to have to worry about avoiding Tyler's intense gaze.

As I was changing into black leggings, something Claire said crept back to me.

People call him Evans. Not his first name, obviously. He once attacked this person from calling him it.

Why is Tyler so against people calling him by his first name?

After I threw on a thick sweater over my head, I jogged downstairs and put on some running shoes.

"Sweetie, it's a little cold today, put on a jacket," my dad said from his seat by the table and I groaned.

"By cold do you mean ten degrees? It's fine. This sweater will be enough for me," I said, hoping to reason with him, but by the way he put his phone face down on the table in front of him to glare at me, I took that as a sign that I had to wear a jacket.

I blew out a puff of air just as I noticed a grilled cheese on a plate left for me. "Thanks dad," I grinned as I made my way to the dish.

After ripping a napkin, I put the grilled cheese on top of it, and folded it safely inside before facing dad. "Let's head out?" I asked, and he nodded as he shut off his phone.

In less than five minutes, we were parked outside of the school, and I slapped my hands together to get the crumbs off of my hands.

Dad cringed. "Now it's on the floor."

My lips tightened. "Sorry dad," I said before leaning over the center console to kiss him on his cheek.

"See you after school," I threw over my shoulder just as I opened the door to let myself out.