Forgotten Faces

The Winter Solstice

"Without another chance to save the world, these things you're gone. You're gone, forgotten." - Avenged Sevenfold

🌊 🌋 🔥 🌪

The universe just loved to prove to Aelita that things could always get worse.

First, she found out she was possibly the reincarnation of a spirit that was thought to be long extinct, because of course her life wasn't complicated enough as is. Then the spirit of someone who claimed to be her past life told her she needed to return to the Fire Nation by nightfall which seemed practically impossible. Her best friend who was banished was trying to waltz himself back into said Nation regardless of the consequences. She had lied to that best friend multiple times and hated herself for it. Their ship was damaged, pouring smoke, and on the brink of failure. And now they were on a collision course with no other than the man who destroyed her family.

Great. Just great.

Zuko felt Aelita grip his arm tightly with one hand while the other clenched his hand. This was the second time he put her directly in Zhao's line of fire and tomorrow he would feel horrible for it. Today he didn't have time. They could make it. They had to make it. He refused to let the Avatar fall into that snake's hands.

"Zuko if we hit them we're done for."

"We can make it," Zuko assured her as much as himself.

Oh, this was sure to be Zhao's lucky day. The Avatar was flying directly into Fire Nation territories and Prince Zuko was determined to follow. Not only would he hand the Avatar over personally to Ozai, but he'd also even have the pleasure of throwing the royal brat into a prison cell. The Commander certainly hadn't forgotten how Zuko embarrassed him in their Agni Kai. And of course, there was Sukomo's little harlot. It was probably wrong to hate a child for the actions of their father but Zhao never claimed to be a good man. He hated her almost as much as he hated the bastard who constantly outshone him during their service together. He couldn't wait to get his hands on her.

"Let them pass," Zhao told his captain.

"Sir?" The man questioned.

"I said let them pass," Zhao smirked. "Let's let the Prince have a few more moments as a free man."

With the smaller ship only yards away Zhao's ships slowed to a halt, leaving a gap just big enough for the Prince to maneuver through. As they sailed through the opening Zuko pulled Aelita behind him, shielding her as much as possible from the beast who he knew would love nothing more than to see her suffer. The Commander met his sharp gaze as they passed. When he caught a glance of the girl behind Zuko he smiled like a tigerdillo on the hunt for its next meal. Maybe Zuko should've ended Zhao when he had a chance.

"What's he up to Uncle?" Zuko asked as they sailed away from the blockade. "Why didn't Commander Zhao arrest me?"

"Because he wants to follow you," Iroh stated, arms tucked into his robes. "He knows you'll lead him to the prize you're both after, the Avatar."

Aelita knew Iroh was right. Zhao planned to follow us because he knew we were chasing the Avatar ourselves. She couldn't let Zhao get in her way. Once they got to the Island she would already have to deal with Zuko somehow, she didn't need the Commander getting in the way too.

"If Zhao wants to follow our trail of smoke," She chimed in, both men turning to look at her. "then that's exactly what we should let him do."

Within minutes Aelita, Zuko, and a small handful of their men were tucked into the smaller breakaway boat they had stored below deck. It was the exact one she planned on using herself, the irony of the situation was like a slap in the face. She didn't have the time or even an excuse to grab her bag or Mushu. She would have to face this alone with only her bending to rely on.