End Zone (Mature)

Bruno bounced on his feet impatiently, rocking back and forth and straining his neck over crowding folks towering over him. His concern was off the roof when his longtime best friend, Ashley, called him crying in the middle of the night.

Without any other explanations, she had booked a one-way ticket to LA and she needed a ride to find a cheap Bed and Breakfast in the area. Actually, she could have just gotten an Uber but she made up just about any excuse to see Bruno again.

The man's senses went on full alert when Ashley's flight number from Savannah, Georgia was announced over the PA system. He watched people from all walks of life with different motives and purpose in the City of Angels flood through the arrival gates. One by one, he saw happy hugs and kisses being shared while still keeping an eye out for her.

And there she was, walking tiredly after that 7-hour trip in a hoodie, jeans, slides, and her curly hair up in a high puff. She wheeled her suitcase behind her, exhausted eyes searching for her fellow curly-haired best friend. Her physical weary from being up for a whole day before catching her 5:30 am flight wasn't nearly as debilitating as the emotional baggage she was carrying.

Heart racing, Bruno immediately raised his hand as high as he could to wave at her. They shared a knowing grin and he found himself pushing through the people as she picked up her steps toward him. When she was at an arm's reach, he engulfed her in a warm, tight embrace. They closed their eyes and swayed a little as they basked in the feeling of familiarity and comfort with each other. He whispered, disbelief coating his voice, "Ashley."

"Bruno," she returned simply, still breathing in his manly musk.

"I missed you," he squeezed her small waist, smiling into her hair. "It's been so long."

Their moment was ruined by someone clearing their throat from behind her, making them realize they were blocking other people's way. She quickly let go of his firm shoulders and picked up the handle of her carry on. "I missed you too."

"Lemme get that for you, Ash," he offered, taking her stuff when she graciously accepted. He started leading the way for the parking lot, still overwhelmed with emotion that they were together again. Noticing her unusual silence, he decided to acknowledge the elephant in the room, "Are you okay?"

She shook her head without a word, playing with her nails instead. She and Bruno managed to dock the people scrambling around the terminal, a usual scene in LAX.

He tried again, "Have you eaten?"

"I got some coffee during our layover in Atlanta," she answered, finally lifting her head to meet his eyes. "And they served some snacks on the flight here."

"Well I haven't," Bruno smiled a little, uncomfortable with the tension between them at the moment. He was always the type to crack jokes, make her laugh. Adding a little chirpiness to his voice, he said, "Let's go get some breakfast. My treat."

In ten minutes, the duo were seated inside a booth face-to-face next to blinded windows as they waited for their orders. The lack of exchange between them since her plane landed was killing Ashley. Her disability to hide her emotions was really ruining the dynamic of their friendship. Slumping back, she took in the interior of the 1950's themed restaurant. Initiating conversation for the first time today, she said, "I just realized something..."

Raising a brow, Bruno looked at her curiously, "Oh yeah? What's that?"

"Everytime we ate here at Pann's, we'd always consciously sit at the table where Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield did," she pointed out, referencing John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson's characters in that infamous ending scene in Pulp Fiction. That was something they had in common — they were both huge movie nerds.