Shinsou Overhears his crush

The day was average and boring, Shinsou going through the paces like he always did. Though he wasn't in the hero course at UA, the faintest probability that he could earn his way in clung to the back of his mind like a moth drawn to a flame.

After the Sports Festival, he realized his shortcomings in terms of physical combat ability in the event that his quirk either 1. wouldn't work because his opponent wasn't human, or 2. didn't work because their willpower was strong enough to overcome it. So he trained, focusing on the things he knew would help him win the next time around.

But something else was on his mind, something that often flashed behind his eyelids before he went to sleep. Actually, it was more like someone. He wasn't one to get attached easily, but there was just something about them that stuck out among the crowds of pompous students that he usually tried to ignore.

But of course he hadn't told them how he felt.

Today was another routine day as Shinsou headed towards the school gym for some physical training when a voice hit his ears, a familiar voice that made his heart flutter. He stopped in his tracks and hid around the corner before he was seen, their back turned to him as they spoke with several other students.

"Did you see him at the Sports Festival? I dunno, his quirk is kind of scary right? He could make someone do anything he wanted..."

"Yeah, he probably didn't get into the hero course because they thought he would be a hazard."

Shinsou growled under his breath. They were talking about him, he knew it. These types of things were common even now when he proved how much he wanted to be a hero despite not getting into the hero course. The same shit he heard in middle school.

Just then a stern voice spoke up. And what they said made him gasp.

"No way, you're totally wrong! Think about how powerful his quirk would be against villains: he could them down easily and quickly without casualities. He could just tell them 'stop, give up' and they'd do it! He should totally be in the hero course, they just can't see Shinsou's potential."

The people they were talking to were silent...and so was Shinsou, his heart nearly beating out of his chest at their invigorating and supportive words. After the Sports Festival his friends - his true friends - saw his potential, but there were still others who were skeptical and scared of his quirk.

But they weren't. And that's when he decided that, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow...but soon, he'd tell them how he felt.