Learning During a Lunch Hour (Introduction)

In 2008, Dr Patrizia Collard wrote an academic paper (Collard and Walsh) that was based on her experience of teaching mindfulness to university employees. The participants were academics, technicians, and administration staff. The 'awareness training' that she taught for one lunchtime hour each week was a new set of skills to help the staff achieve better life-work equilibrium. They were instructed to connect regularly with all their five senses and to focus non-judgmentally on the here-and-now experience of life. The exercise she chose were neither difficult to teach nor hard to learn; she did emphasise, however, that students should ideally enter into a regular routine of practice in order for change to occur.

These brief weekly sessions helped to bring about valuable changes and health improvements in the participants. The motto was: we are all different and special, so we do not attempt to become like somebody else, but connect more deeply with our true selves.

Their stress levels were reduced (although Christmas was just around the corner), their language and support for each other became more compassionate and, in general, they felt more joyful and had a sense of life being an adventure.

Mindfulness is a new way of being, a new way of experiencing life and improving one's work-life balance.