Sense of Normalcy

Suzumi
"In short, you have something called tinnitus,"

No. No, I rely on my hearing I can't have that.

"Is there any way you can fix it?" I ask, trying desperately to keep my panic from rising any further.

"We're afraid we don't even know what's causing it," No, there has to be a way to fix it, I can't live like this, the ringing will make life impossible, "so no, there's nothing we can do."

I take some deep breaths, trying to block out the damn ringing still in my ears but it's futile, and it hurts.

"There is something else we'd like to discuss though,"

What could be more important than losing part of the sense that I can't live without?

"It appears that your senses are more closely linked than most other people's, your eyes and ears in particular. To put it simply,we think we can give you your sight."

Wait, what?

I blink, "B-but that's, that's not... they told me it wasn't-" How? I don't understand. My eyes don't work they never have. I'm just- I don't-

"The problem was hard to spot because of the close link but we know what it is now and only because we were looking at your hearing."

I can't speak, I'm going to lose one sense, but gain another? I don't even know what the world looks like, I can't even imagine what colour is, I've been blind all my life.

"We'd like you to rest for a while first, but say in a week or two, we'd be willing to do the operation that would give you the ability to see."

Aizawa clearly notices that I'm gonna need a moment to take in this information and tells the doctors that, if that is all, they can leave.

Narrator
Aizawa left the room in silence as Suzumi just stared at the wall in deep, deep thought. Aizawa assumed that the idea must have been quite overwhelming for her, she'd looked quite panicked when they'd told her about her tinnitus but when they said they could give her her eyes she'd just frozen in shock. He couldn't even tell if the idea made her happy or not, but it seemed like something to be happy about.

The tired man looked at the young girl, remembering all the things he'd always thought he should pay closer attention to about her. In particular, he found himself thinking about when he'd gone around students' homes to ask about boarding not so long ago.

Flashback- Narrator
Aizawa looked down at his phone for the next address, All Might and he had split up to get it done faster and he was no where near the bottom of his list. So far, he'd been happy to find that every one of his students had been given permission, now he was walking into the apartment block of Hirota Suzumi.

Aizawa had been told by Principal Nezu before the school year had started that she was the daughter of a villain and that the villain had taken her captive for an entire year before she was rescued. He also mentioned that they had made a deal with her: they would keep the fact that her father is a villain a secret as long as she joined UA. Apparently, there was more to the deal than that but Nezu wasn't at liberty to discuss the rest of the terms.

Aizawa hadn't been pleased at the fact they were taking in some kid who didn't necessarily want to be a hero and that she was skipping the entrance exam. It seemed completely unfair to the other children who wanted desperately to be a part of the hero department of the school. Everyone else had to work so hard while this girl, this villain's daughter, was getting a free pass.