Chapter Sixteen ~ Kimber's Men

Start from the beginning

          It was like the calm before the storm - Freddie wasn't scared now. He knew his fate and he... well, he didn't accept it, but he knew that there was no escaping it now. He eyed the young officer sitting opposite him. Now he was thinking and he was closer, the man looked not much older than a boy, probably in his early twenties. And his face, he did recognise it. Clearing his throat he said, "So, who the hell are you?"

          "Someone who wants to keep his eyes," he snapped, a hint of anxiety in his voice. He looked to the front of the car and then shuffled closer to Freddie and pulled out his keys. Freddie couldn't believe his eyes when the officer unlocked the chains around his wrists. He clenched and unclenched his hands, feeling the freedom. "They came to my house," the officer continued. "Told me to volunteer for this."

          "Who did?" asked Freddie.

          He scoffed. "The Peaky Blinders."

          A smile formed on Freddie's lips as he leant his head back against the side of the motor. He shook his head wistfully. "Tommy, Tommy, Tommy."

          Feeling more relaxed than he had in a long time, a spark of his old confidence reunited with him and he looked over at the officer. "I know you, don't I?" He said.

          The officer shifted slightly uncomfortably. He raised his eyebrow. "Do you?" He questioned.

          Freddie examined the man's face and then he remembered. "I've seen you with my sister, Lottie. You're Hill."

          Just then, the car stopped. Freddie's brows creased as he flicked his head side to side.

          "Get out of the way!" They heard the driver shout and then, instantly after, they heard the shout of a gun firing - repeatedly.

          "What the bloody hell is that?" He exclaimed.

          Hill's expression tightened. "Looks like your friends are here." He then turned to Freddie. "Make it look good."

          Freddie scoffed. "That'll be easy." He raised his fist and aimed for Hill's nose, hearing a crunch as it collided. "That's for sleeping with my sister."

          Holding his knuckle, he turned towards the door as it was pulled open. There were three figures, the driver, Maxim and Danny. "Holy shit!" He exclaimed. "Danny, you're dead!"

           "Yeah," he nodded. "I've been living in London in Maxim's place." He smiled. "Same thing." He turned to the driver. "In you get," he said pushing him into the back.

          Maxim pulled open the second door so that Freddie could jump out. The two cousins stared at each other, neither of them smiling. Then, Maxim grabbed Freddie's shoulders and hugged him. Surprised, Freddie's brows shot up, but he relaxed and hugged his cousin back.

          "You're an idiot," said Maxim as he held him as arms length.

          Freddie eyed the cap on his head. "And you're a blinder."

          "So I could help you escape and look after Lottie," he retorted.

          Freddie felt himself about to snap back but he bit his lip. He sighed and said honestly, "And I'm glad you did."