Chapter 9

Caleb's POV

I'm sitting here in a chair in the waiting room. Gabby and Cade are sitting on a couch here, and Cade is trying to comfort Gabby, who is still crying.

"Caleb?" I hear.

I quickly look up and see Bella. She looks pretty beaten up.

I go over to her, "Bella, what-"

"Where's Caroline?" She asks.

"She's with Catie," I answer, "what-"

"Caleb, this is all my fault," she says, eyes watering.

"Huh?" I ask.

"Maddie was driving me to work and I distracted her I guess. It's my fault," she cries.

"Where is she?" I call out, to no one in particular. A nurse walks by and I grab her arm, "Do you know anything about Maddie Hutchinson?" I ask her.

"I'm sorry," she shakes her head.

"Damn it!" I yell.

After what feels like forever, a doctor comes into the waiting room, "Family or friends of Maddie Hutchinson?"

Gabby sits up quickly and I go over to the doctor, "I'm her husband. What's going on?"

"Come with me," she says.

I follow her and Gabby comes, too. My heart is pounding.

"Caleb," Gabby whispers, and I only look at her and then look forward again.

We reach the middle of the hallway, and the doctor turns around and looks at us, "She's still unconscious," she says. I sigh and close my eyes. Gabby squeezes my arm as the doctor speaks again, "but, luckily, that's the worst of it. She'll be in a lot of pain, but she will wake up soon. She's lucky that nothing is broken."

"The baby?" I ask.

She gives me a small smile, "Baby's fine."

"Thank you, God," I breathe out.

Gabby smiles through her tears, "Thank God."

"They're both fine, and Maddie will be okay. You can go in and see her if you'd like," the doctor says before walking off.

"You go ahead, Caleb. I can talk to her after. You deserve some time alone with her."

"Thanks," I give her a small smile before opening the door. I see Maddie, and it hurts me to see her like this. I go over and pull a chair up beside her before taking her hand, "Maddie," I say, but she just lays there. But I am extremely grateful to see her chest rising and falling with every breath she takes, "I'm here... I'm not going anywhere. I just need you to wake up, please. I love you and miss you so much. I need you."

I sit watching her for a moment. I continue talking to her, and after a moment I feel her hand move in mine, "Maddie?" I say, and I feel her give my hand a little squeeze, "Yeah, baby, come on, wake up. Wake up, Maddie," I say, desperately, kissing her hand.

I see her eyes open a little, and then she closes them again. I continue kissing her hand, and eventually her eyes are all the way open. She looks around for a moment, confused. She realizes where she is and sits up quickly, "Caleb! Caleb!"

"I'm right here, calm down," I tell her.

She looks at me with her eyes full of worry, "Our baby," she says, eyes watering.

"Our baby is fine," I tell her, "just relax, everything is okay."

She sits back a little and breathes out, "Oh my gosh."

"You're going to be fine. Everything is fine except for the pain," I tell her.

"Bella?" She asks.

"She was a little more lucky than you. She's already out," I tell her.

She looks around for a moment and her eyes water again, "God, I'm so glad our baby is okay," she cries.

"Me too," I tell her, "and I'm glad that you're okay, too."

She wipes her eyes, "Where's Caroline?"

"She's with Catie," I answer.

"I love you," she says.

"I love you more," I squeeze her hand, "and I am so thankful that the two of you are okay."

"Me too," she says, "All I know is that I was.. that I was-" her speech starts slurring and I see her eyes starting to close.

"Maddie? Maddie!" I call out to her, and then I hear the heart monitor beeping fast.

I open the door quickly, "Someone help!" I yell out.

I see doctors running, and they make me stand out in the hallway. I feel my eyes watering. I thought she was okay?

"Caleb?" Gabby asks, tears filling her eyes again.

I wipe my eyes and shake my head, "I don't know."