|30| 18

It's Thursday morning, I'm still sound asleep in bed when a pattern of knocks hit my bedroom door like a rock. I ignore it the first three times, looking over to my clock and groaning at the sight of "7 am."

"Let me sleep..." I hug my pillow. Going against my words, the door opens and incomes my mom, holding a cupcake with a candle in it. I close my eyes again but smile a little while she sits beside me on my bed.

"Happy birthday, Lilo." A peck lands on my forehead. I sit up and rub my eyes open, "Thanks mom."

"I can't believe my little baby is 18 already, you're so grown up now! Make a wish dear."

Her hands push the cupcake closer before I shut my eyes to blow the candle.

I wished to go back to sleep.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ ☀️

Call me stupid, but despite it being my birthday I didn't call for a day off work. I figured what with Tye still being away on holiday until tomorrow there was no point in celebrating without him, so I didn't make any plans. In fact I never got around to telling anyone at the cafe it was even my birthday.

I was a little disappointed though, usually Mina barges into my home and bombards me with morning hugs on my birthday, but today she didn't. I can't say I'm not surprised that she didn't come to see me, but hey, maybe she just has other things on her plate.

I decided to take Margo out for a walk and play overwatch to kill some time before work.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ ☀️

I enter the cafe diner in the afternoon and see the girls setting up before opening time. "Hi Lilo," Gretchen waves, I wave back.

"Bossman's not here today, but he said we can close up a little earlier because he's busy all day." Teddy informs me, making me nod my head. "Okay. Where's Chrys?"

"She's sick. Apparently stepping in gum on the sidewalk is a deadly infection." Winter puts air quotes around some words. I roll my eyes knowing the likelihood of that story.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ ☀️

Instead of closing at 8 today we're closing at 6, and it's almost time. I see out the last customer before flipping the sign on the door.

As I begin to collect dirty dishes I see the girls all zipping up their jackets getting ready to leave.

"Lilo, the girls and I are going to Wonder Nacho since we have the rest of the evening free. Can you close up the store for us?" Teddy asks.

A slight tinge of disappointment hits my face, kind of wishing I was invited too, but I guess somebody has to stay behind. It would be awkward to bring up my birthday so late in the day too, so I just smile and nod.

"Sure, I don't mind."

"Great, thanks!" She hugs me and walks out, the other two girls give me a wave before leaving.

I sigh and take the dishes to the sink.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ ☀️

Before I have a chance to slip off my jacket and shoes, the house phone rings in the living room. I sit on the couch and answer, "Hello?"