Part Ten

There was a heavy knock at my door that instantly woke me up. My living room was drowning in bright sunlight which made it difficult for my eyes to adjust. I stood up groggily from my couch, rubbing my eyes and looking down at my watch - 8:15 AM.

It was my day off, so I wondered who could possibly be at my door. Whoever it was wouldn't stop banging. A pang of excitement hit my chest, as I hoped it would be my son, Benny.

When I stared out the window, the excitement deflated in my chest and filled with worry instead. I noticed Liv standing at my front porch anxiously. She was biting down on her lip while holding a box with a sheet draped over it.

I opened the door and stared down at her, "What's wrong? Is everything okay?"

She shoved her way into my house and sat down on my couch, holding the box in her lap. I followed her, confused, while sitting beside her.

"They found the evidence Cole told us about. Most of what we need to know about this case should be in here," Liv said, tearing the sheet off the top of the box. "You have to see this. It's disturbing, but it tells us a lot about her boyfriend."

She pulled a VHS tape out and walked over to my television, while I watched curiously.
She popped the tape in and knelt down to play the video. I stared at the screen, my heart racing in my chest.

A grainy video showed Cole sitting on the stained mattress again. He was wearing a tattered shirt and his hair was a mess - his eyes were drained with dark flesh surrounding them. His arms were tied behind his back, restricting them as he stared up at the camera.

I then noticed that there was an empty bottle of alcohol beside Cole, which sadly explained why he looked so out of it.

"Steven," Rose's voice sounded softly behind the camera. "Do you want some cocaine too?"

Cole was silent, slowly blinking.

"Steven, I asked you if you want cocaine too?" Rose said again, her voice stern as she sniffled. She brought the camera closer to Cole's face.

"No, I- I don't want..." Cole responded in a slurred voice, his eyes dropping which earned an immediate gasp from Rose.

Rose's wrinkled hand reached out to slap Cole across the face.

"Stop falling asleep," Rose said, before turning the camera towards the doorway to show a big figure standing by the door. "Hi, Sweetheart."

"Hi," the voice mumbled timidly, a dark hood over his face.

"Steven keeps falling asleep. Wake him up," Rose said, keeping the film on the man.

The man appeared visibly uncomfortable. "But that... isn't that your son?" he asked, his voice shaking.

"No," Rose chuckled. "This is Steven, Honey, I know you don't like to admit that you're sharing me with him," Rose showed Cole again, and Cole had his eyes closed again. "Wake the fuck up!" Rose shrieked, scaring Cole awake.

"I can't," Cole mumbled through his teeth. "I'm not Steven."

Rose shifted the camera towards her boyfriend who stood idly. "Well?" Rose said expectantly.

Her boyfriend's face was covered, but his stature showed that he was horrifed. Obediently, he walked over to Cole and grabbed his bent arm. He slammed him into a wall, and Cole groaned while her boyfriend kept him pinned against it.

"Yeah, that's right. Fuck you, Steven," Rose spat at Cole, bringing the camera closer to Cole who had his mouth open in pain. "That'll teach you."

Cole threw his head back as Rose pushed the camera into her boyfriend's hands and moved in front of the lens.