Chapter 1

You moan, "She left me." "He left me."
Twenty more will come.

Be empty of worrying.
Think of who created thought!

Why do you stay in prison
When the door is so wide open?

Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking.
Live in silence.

Flow down and down in always
Widening rings of being.

-The Essential Rumi.

With the thought of flying in the cage of worries she's writing her destiny in new way.

*******
August,2018
Working Women's Hostel.

Keeping aside her books which are filled with creativity Alaknanda starts completing her question paper first which she is preparing for BSC Mathematics students for the final test exams.

She liked maths and the way she use to effortlessly arrive on solution she was the only teacher in the staff who would make it simpler for the students to like maths and most importantly she was the one to find creativity in maths but sometimes academics were making her go crazy with deadlines and lot of work in the background made her all the more tired about getting a job like a professor in a university. These all things have her self lesser time for rest.

But out of everything going around she was happy in her life and was finding contentment in her own being.

'Tomorow by any how I will go for a run.'

She made a mental note for herself and kept her shoes which was covered by dust on the upper rack. Leaving in women's hostel was demanding work though she had her own single room for her privacy but that was not giving her the feel of home, she missed her family back in Varanasi where she was pampered alot and treated like royalty unless here where she was struggling on a daily basis to complete her work and home chores.

Alakananda was the only daughter of Mr. Brijesh Goyal and Mrs. Vrindadevi Goyal.

The educated solicitor wanted his daughter to be independent and high in qualification.
On the other hand Vrindadevi kept on making her understand the rules of the family system majority of the Indian family had.

It was difficult for Alaknanda to keep up the balance as she was the only daughter, she meant the world to her parents and so the parents always had an eye on her. Hence finding independency in so much of dependent life was a bit of a task.

Till then there was knock on the door breaking her chain of her thoughts.

'Alka, are you inside?'

Alvira's voice boomed in Alaknanada's quite room. Alka was the short name for Alaknanda which was given by her mother to make it simple for people who are around her to call.

'Tell Aly, what is it?'

'I am going to Lucknow tomorrow morning My father have called a certain person to make me his bride.'

Alaknanada's eyes widened on how blandly Alvira is sharing this news without any stress or no reaction.

'What?' Alvira said agitated. It didn't seem like Alvira have real hopes from her parents' choice of groom.

'You can get irritated! Why you are saying this like there is no big deal.'

'Ofcourse, it is a big deal but it was expected right. I am 27, this day has to come where I have to go for this kind of meeting to decide my fate.'

Alvira and Alaknanda were in Jawaharlal Nehru University staff member. Alvira was in Chemistry department and she started with her Ph.D though she was contemplating soon that there would be a call from her parents side regarding her marital alliance she was ready for it.

'Aly but are you sure about this new alliance and everything. It is going to be a new start all over again. You are ready, right?'

'If I don't get ready now I would be disowned from the family.' Alvira stated with a hearty laugh.

Alaknanda look at her with her almond eyes going big but then both of them burst in a hearty laugh. Knowing how unreasonable Alvira's parents get thinking about her marriage and imagining her going single all life.

Alvira and Alaknanda both regionally belong to different parts of India but when it comes to society's rule book of values they are Indians. That is how it goes for all.

You are meant to be in a certain way when you are representing a family who has s repute in society how much ever you deny it your actions are measured. Measured very well by your neighbours and not your parents.

It is easy to make them understand because for them it is you who becomes the priority but when they compare you with the blurred background of society it comes in the picture holding more clarity making you go blurred. It does not mean they don't love you, they do. You are important for them but what they do not understand is how important is your happiness over a judgements which will lasts for few days.

Alvira was smart, intelligent and independent, she was setting a good example but her singlehood at the age of 27 which was considered over-riped in marriage market what was making not only her parents but also her anxious. That now is this the right time or she might land up alone without anybody.

Let's be honest we are also reflection of this society and we share the minuteness of fear but we easily suppress on the name of modern generation.

'Take care okay, have a safe journey. Whenever you need any help you are just calling me. I am just a ring away.' Alaknanda said giving Alvira her Bag at the Hostel's main door as their rickshaw arrived to take her to Railway station.

'Yes, you also take care. I will call you as soon as I reach home and most importantly when I meet the guy. Will give all the details.' Alvira said with a wink.

Alaknanda helped Alvira settled in the rickshaw and bid her good bye. Alakananda was left with her own thoughts about this marital saga.