17 . The Wounded Sailor

Start from the beginning

A thought crossed my mind and I made a split second decision to do something crazy.

"Please just go with this," I whispered in Alana's ear and placed my lips over hers.

Alana clamped her mouth shut and pulled back immediately, eyes blazing, "Oh, don't try to smother me, sweetheart," she smiled, the fury in her eyes reserved just for me. "I didn't come here because I missed you. My parents have high suspicions about this sudden meeting you have with my little brother," she barred her teeth at me.

She wanted to kill me for sure.

"I swear my intentions are honorable," I crossed my heart and turned to the boy who lingered several steps behind. "Hey Cole, what's up?"

Colin looked at me from under his bangs, and lifted his hand in greeting. His face a mask and voice gruff, he asked, "Are we going to talk right here?"

"Nah, I thought we could go out and grab something to eat. What do you say to that?" I walked closer to him and held out a hand.

The familiar mischievous glint entered his blue eyes when he shook my hand, "Are you taking me on a date, twenty-seven year old Adam? I would say yes, but you just kissed my sister. I'm not sure how that's gonna work," he smiled. Evelyn started coughing, and muttered something under her breath.

My lips started twitching when I heard a dramatic, "Oh no, look how late it is, Trinity! Mom must be waiting for us! We should get going."

What was that? Was she... jealous?

I turned my head to see her get down on her knees. "Oh look at the dirt on your dress!"

She took the longest time to dust Trinity's dress then started to tie Noah's shoe laces like they were the most difficult puzzle on earth. Every person in the room had their eyes on her, and she didn't even realize it. She kept on talking to the kids, and half of the things made no sense.

Something like hope started fluttering inside me. I almost let down my barriers. That was till my brain sent off warning bells. I was quick to recover. I'd had enough of playing guessing games.

Pulling myself out of the trance, I gave Colin a playful punch on the stomach to get his attention, "Whatever floats your boat, kid. Alright let's call this a date if you want but don't get your hopes up. I'm still straight."

Colin let out a highly exaggerated whoop, and gave me a sly smile, "Like I said, you'll never know till you kiss a –

"Stop it Cole, that line of yours is getting so clichéd that it makes my ears burn," Alana hissed under her breath. Then she crouched beside Ev and smiled at the kids, "Hi guys, you must be Trinity and Noah. Your uncle told me all about you. I am Alana Scott, his new friend, and that's Colin my little brother. He is also your uncle's new friend." she extended her hand.

The kids shook her hand like pros then shook hands with Cole. They looked at Alana's face thoughtfully for several moments before Noah spoke up, "You are so pretty. Are you Uncle Adam's girlfriend?"

He was smiling at her like he'd ask her to be his girlfriend anytime.

"Uh... no –

"Not yet." I interrupted her.

Alana snorted and made a face.

Colin chortled, and stepped back to smother his laughter.

My heart jumped to my throat when Alana turned to smile at Ev, "And you must be Evelyn. I'm Alana. I'm pretty sure you got that by now."

Ev's first reaction was to glance at me, as if asking me what to do. I walked away, pretending to check out the selection of drum sticks on a glass case.