Mum

Suzumi
We walk in comfortable silence as we head along the path to my house. Every step is painful so I try to walk as non-jarringly as possible but he notices.

"Sure you're ok?"

I smile warmly in the cold morning air as the the sun begins to bathe the world in light. "I'm fine." I lie. He knows I'm lying but he drops the subject anyway... there's not much he can do about it after all.

It's not long before we stroll up to my apartment building, I ring the buzzer for my place, hoping mum's awake. There's no way she will be though so I get out my lock pick set- one of the things I guess I can actually thank my dad for teaching me- and thirty seconds later we're climbing the stairs.
But as we climb, I start to think about the state the place will be in and the idea of bringing Todoroki inside gets less and less appealing until I tell him he should probably wait outside as we walk along the corridor to my door.

Oh no.

It's been forced, it swings on its hinges in a non-existent wind and the wood is splintered.

I open the door slowly, checking for anyone who might be in the room, I don't hear anything except someone's ragged breathing.

Mum?

Mum!

I run to the collapsed and bleeding form on the floor, the landline dangling just a hair's breadth away. I almost slip on all the blood as I kneel to put pressure on the wound in her stomach, fractured and bloodied glass shattered around us.

"Zu?" she mutters, her eyes fluttering open.

"Don't worry mum we've got you, you're gonna be ok."

"No, I'm not, Zuzi." she responds bluntly with a smile.

No, you're wrong, stop smiling damn it and help me save you! "Yes, you are." I counter, trying to keep out the panic as Todoroki kneels opposite me.

I need you to be ok mum, come on.

"Baby, I'm sorry." she mutters.

"Don't worry-"

"No!" she says as forcefully as she can muster, "You lost your father and your mother on the same day and that's my fault I'm sorry, so please, let me try and make it up to you."

Todoroki frowns but stays silent. She reaches up to my face with a kind smile.

"Mum please..." I beg as my voice cracks and I feel tears forming in my eyes yet again.

"Your father did this, he's out and I need you to stay safe for me. 'Cause if even one of us lives, then we've beaten him, you get that?"

I nod.

"So let this be my parting gift, to help you through."

She latches onto my wrist and rivulets of gold and silver spread along my arm making me feel warm and safe.

"Mum no! You're too weak! You'll die!"

"I'll die anyway, I've been a nurse for thirty years, I know what a fatal wound looks like."

I struggle in her vice like grip, trying not to hurt her as I struggle but she won't let go.

"Mum please!" I beg as I feel the warmth leak down my torso. "Please don't!" All I want is to tear her hand off but I can't, I just can't. "Please,"

"Take care of her for me." she asks Todoroki.

He nods solemnly, "I give you my word." She smiles at that once more.