Tutor (Short Story)

Tutor -Boys pre-famous short story

"Look, Carlos. I wanna let you play on Friday, but I can't until you get your grades up." His coach frowned, talking to him in the locker room.

Everyone had left already since practice had ended. Well, almost everyone. James, Kendall, and Logan had their ears pressed against the locker room door trying to hear what was happening. "Carlos can't play?" James whispered.

"Shut up." Kendall fired back, flicking the back of James' head.

"But, Coach Smith, I'm trying my best." Carlos stuttered back. He really wanted to play in the game on Friday. This game would decide where they would be placed in their district. He had to be there for his team!

"I believe you, Carlos. I don't doubt you," Coach Smith replied, raising his hands in surrender. "It's the school's rules, not mine. Academics always comes before hockey, you know this."

"I know, but I gotta play on Friday. What class am I failing?" Carlos asked, worry in his voice.

"It's only Algebra," he answered. "You're really close to passing. You just need to ace your test on Wednesday and you'll be able to play."

"Algebra? I-I don't understand Algebra. How am I supposed to get a good grade on this test if I don't get it." Carlos frowned. Algebra was the hardest subject for Carlos. He would get lost between the numbers and the letters. Worst of all, just when he thought he was getting good it, they moved onto something even harder. He couldn't keep up!

"Ask the teacher for help before school. They'll be more than willing to assist you." Coach Smith offered, making Carlos groan.

"I don't have time before school. What else can I do?" He fretted.

"Get a tutor or a friend. I'm sure you know a few people who could help ya out," Coach Smith quickly replied. He stood up and walked over to Carlos. "Don't worry. I believe in you. You're almost there." He softly smiled, patting Carlos' shoulder pads.

"Move! Move! Move!" Kendall shouted, shoving James and Logan from the locker room door.

Somehow, they were able to hid around the corner before Coach Smith saw them. Once they knew the coast was clear, they walked towards the locker room. "Remember, Carlos doesn't know that we were spying." Kendall said.

"Right!" James and Logan quietly replied.

"So don't bring anything up." Kendall continued as they opened the locker room door.

"Hey, buddy!" James greeted, plastering on a smile.

"Oh, hey, guys." Carlos softly smiled, looking up from his duffel bag, which he was stuffing full with his hockey equipment.

"So, how'd your meeting go with Coach Smith?" Logan asked, trying to keep it cool.

Carlos shrugged. "It was alright. Nothing too serious."

"That's great news," James grinned. "Say, let's go out for shakes. Kendall's treat." He smiled, making Kendall and Logan furrow their eyebrows in confusion.

"Thanks, but I can't. I've got to go home and study. I've got a really important test coming up." Carlos replied, walking towards the door.

"Carlos Gracia studying for a test?" Kendall scoffed, trying to act innocent. "Am I dreaming?"

"Nope. I'm getting serious on my grades." Carlos declared as they continued to walk towards the school exit.

"What test are you studying for?" Logan asked.