Alec ~ Not Going Anywhere

Basically just a lil imagine inspired by/rewritten from the 3x01 scene where Alec says "I'm not going anywhere"

**************

"I'm so glad you're back, handsome" You whisper into Alec's ear as he lifts you form the floor, dropping his bags to the floor with little care

"I'm happy to be back" Alec breathes, kissing your lips chastely before re-collecting his bags, leading you with his other hand to your shared room at the Institute.

Alec had just come back from Idris on some kind of assignment you weren't allowed to know about considering you're a mundane and, on top of that, not married to him. It was a challenge enough in and of itself to get the Clave to allow you to live here but, thanks to a now supportive Maryse, she'd pulled enough strings to make it work.

"How's work?" Alec asks as you round the corner and you suppress the urge to flinch

"Great" you lie, "I mean...I got demoted"

"You what?!"

"But I'm kind of relieved you know" you recover quickly, not wanting Alec to pick up on your sadness, "It means I have more time for my book."

You'd been working in publishing for over 3 years now. You'd been hoping to get a promotion but had been suddenly demoted in rank for someone who was a lot more qualified than you were. 

It's not your fault you're a college dropout...dealing with the Shadow World did not mix with a full-time student timetable.

"I'm sorry, gorgeous" Alec sighs, kissing your head

"Don't be" you chuckle lightly, "I'm elated, really. Carrying people's dreams in your hands based on your interests can be...exhausting to say the least"

"I understand" Alec nods, though he seems a little suspicious, "I just thought that promotion was important to you."

Alec didn't know, nor understand, much about mundane jobs, especially one as complicated as publishing but he knew how much it had meant to you to get that promotion. Using his lack of knowledge, you lie further

"What's important to me is starting to write my own book again. Help myself achieve my own dreams, instead of helping others achieve theirs for once." you fib smoothly, redirecting the topic quickly, "So, how was Alicante?"

"It was fine" Alec shrugs, he had a frown on his face but let it go quickly, "Yeah, I, um...I was offered a position on the Council."

Much like Alec didn't know about mundane jobs, you didn't know much about Shadow World jobs but, considering it may also be your world someday, Alec and Izzy had been teaching you more about it.

You did know enough to know a job on the Council was a really honourable promotion.

"A delegate" Alec elaborates, "Under the new Consul, Jia Penhallow."

"Wow!" you exclaim, stopping him in his tracks and giving him a quick hug, "Congratulations, babe! I'm sure your family's proud."

"Actually...I haven't told anyone yet"

"You haven't?" you frown, "Why now?"

"Well, because taking it would mean...moving to Idris."

You knew enough about the Shadow World to know that that was not good. Mundanes were rarely allowed in the Institute but in Idris...it was forbidden.

Not even Maryse could pull enough strings for that one.

Which would mean Alec would be living in Idris and you would be stuck here, miserable and alone in New York. You'd probably have to move out of the Institute, find a new apartment...and the strain on your relationship with Alec would be immense.