Winning A Battle, Losing The War

I've been up against tough competition all my life. I wouldn't know how to get along without it.
__________________________________________

Grace yawned widely while she stood in the corridor near the residents changing room. When Miranda emerged she held out the coffee and bagel in her right hand. Pulling her own bagel from her pocket.

'You know what today is?' Miranda asked as they started walking.

'It's why I came in an hour early, didn't want to get smashed into something by a moron on two wheels.'

Miranda just frowned. 'Damn fools. Met Shepherd at a crossing, the idiot almost got killed by the fools.'

Grace snorted almost choking on her bagel. 'Always nice talking to you Miranda,' she said as they parted ways at the elevators.

____________________________________________

Stopping in the middle of the hallway, Grace watched as Grey and Yang left the men's room and walked off. Not long after, Burke emerged and she raised an eyebrow at him when he saw her.

'What were they doing in there?'

Burke rolled his eyes. 'Apparently they think restrooms are a good place to ask Attendings to do surgery on brain dead patients.'

Grace chuckled. 'Were you at least…done before they accosted you?'

He just gave her a look as he walked off, leaving her to laugh as she went in the opposite direction.

___________________________________________

Grace stood at the door to Mackie's room and spoke to the Chief as he left. 'Everything go alright?' She'd met the other man a few times through her friendship with Richard.

'Perfectly,' Richard said with a happy smile. 'Barring post-op problems he'll be fine.'

'Good, I'm glad.' She followed Richard down the hall. 'By the way, I left a cherry pie on your desk for you and Adele.'

Richard chuckled. 'You're gonna spoil us, and give us diabetes while you're at it.'

'What's the point in living a long life if you don't enjoy the good things on the way?' She replied with a grin as she stepped into the closing elevator, leaving him laughing on the other side.