epilogue: part two

*** disclaimer: very very very minor mention of suicidal thoughts - apologies to anyone that this affects. love you 🌹

siena's pov +

"jack!" i called out, trying to go after him but i was prevented by a tall male detective blocking my way.

"miss, you are not supposed to be in this department" he said with a badge that read - detective grey.

"where are you taking my boyfriend?".

"he's being charged with three accounts of murder, and also arson, breaking and entering and kidnap".

my heart fell to my stomach after he listed each and every one, "no...no, he can't have been. he didn't even kidnap me".

"he confessed to it, so you don't have to lie for your boyfriend anymore" the detective told, turning on his shoes to walk away.

"wait!" i stopped him with my eyes beginning to water. "p-please can i just see him? just one last time".

"i don't think he—".

"please, i just want to talk to him and understand and—".

he scratched the back of his neck, staring at my puffy cheeks and red eyes, "very well. go ahead".

i thanked him and hurried into the same doors that jack went through, seeing him being taken into some sort of waiting room.

"excuse me miss, you shouldn't be in here" an officer at the door aimed to hold me back.

"it's okay. just five minutes" detective grey whispered to him from behind me.

jack glanced at me for less than a second before he noticeably tried to focus on something else and followed the order to enter the room.

i walked in as an officer handcuffed him to the table then left the room to guard it.

jack still refused to take his eyes off the table in front of him - it was as if i wasn't even in the room. why is he being like this?

"jack, why won't you fucking look at me?!" i snapped, letting tears finally stream down my face. "you're scaring me".

he finally did make eye contact with me, but with a sigh and a look that i could hardly recognise, "go home, siena".

"no" i instantly declined then sat down opposite him. "i'm not leaving here until you talk to me".

"talk to you about what?!" he yelled. "there's nothing to talk about!".

"detective grey said you confessed to everything - murder, arson, breaking and entering, kidnap. you're going to get life, jack" my voice cracked.

he scoffed, "what did you think i'd get? a few months probation? i killed people, siena! i took three people's lives - i'm a murderer".

"no, you're not. you made mistakes, you thought you were doing the right thing and—".

"no" he cut me off. "i thought i was doing the right thing when i decided to get close to the boss' good girl daughter, knowing very well that i'd be able to get enough cash to pay off leon and leave town before the cops found me".

i stared at his careless posture as he slouched in the chair and curved his lips into a smirk. this was a whole new side to him that i have never seen before.

i breathed in through my tears and shook my head.

"you're lying. i know you and you are lying to me right now. that is not all we were to you, don't even try and say that" i spoke.

"i could have easily left on my own" jack lowered his voice.

he leant forward against the table so that our faces were directly opposite one another and continued, "but bringing you with me meant a much easier access to all that cash".

"why are you doing this? what happened to everything that you said to me at the airport or when you first told me that i was yours at nate's party, or when you told me that you loved me or that you'd die before anything bad ever happened to—".

he chuckled over me and folded his arms. "those were just words, siena. i just needed to get into your good books".

i glared into his eyes, almost failing to from what i've heard. even though it was jack in front of me, i knew deep down that those were a pair of eyes that have never looked at me before. not the ones that told me that it will all be okay earlier.

"i basically had no one in this entire world that understood me until you" i whispered - jack huffed and stared at his lap. "i've never told you this, but there were times where i felt so lonely to the point where i'd rather not be alive anymore and you're telling me that the one relationship that made me the happiest i have ever been was all a ploy to get money?".

jack gave me back his attention, shrugging his shoulders, "come on, think about it. why would i have kept all these secrets from you for so long? i never fucking cared about you or whatever you thought we—".

without letting him finish his sentence, i raised my hand to slap him across the cheek. suddenly, the officer from outside rushed in, checking on the heating scene before him.

it frustrated me that jack was saying all of this stuff after preaching the complete opposite to me for weeks.

but i still sat here desperately in love with him, not hating him one bit and silently begging for him to take it all back and tell me he loved me again.

he moved his jaw to relieve the pain, smirking at me as i stood.

"i can't even look at you right now" i scolded. "and i want to walk out of that door so badly, but i still think you're lying to me, jack. so tell me that you don't love me...then i'll go".

for a split second, he stared back at me with a sense of fear until it hastily vanished. he rose from his seat with his hands still cuffed to the table.

"i. don't. love you, siena" he slowly recited. "i never did".

"i still don't—".

"i swear. on my mother's grave".

my eyes widened a little at his choice of words, and suddenly my feeling of hope came crashing down as i backed away.

"fuck you" i shook my head at him.

as soon as i left the room, i ran out of the doors i entered through and leant against the wall beside them. i breathlessly pushed my hair back, aiming to control my cries but i couldn't.

not after what the boy i'm in love with just said to me. i slid down to sit on the ground, covering my face as i bawled into my hands and hunched knees.

"siena, there you are!" i heard my mom's voice come towards me. she instantly helped me up and hugged me as i continued to cry. "shhh, it's all over now, sweetie. it's okay".

-

ugh can't wait to end this book - i'm ready to move on lmao.

{vote, comment and share}