Prologue- You're not my mate

¤Aaliyah's P.O.V (13)¤

Being a girl in my pack wasn't common, the only girls in our pack were the ones mated in. The male birth gene was dominant in the king's pack, although it seems to have skipped my mom. My alphas first born was a female. Me.

Within each pack we have a council that governs decisions unable to be made by the alpha alone such as our next alpha. The council had already come to the conclusion I'd be unfit to be alpha before my umbilical cord was even cut, but it wasn't just the council who thought that, both the lower and higher ranking packs kept a careful eye on our pack and it's future.

A female alpha was unheard of, not just in my pack. The Kings pack was undoubtedly amongst the most powerful packs in our world, it was unimaginable to have a female as the head of a tiered pack. I was always told it wasn't considered  sexist it's just the way wolves are.

Since the council had already decided before I could even walk that I was unfit to be alpha, they gave my parents a second 'chance' to have another child or as most people like to put it 'make things right'.

The council were hoping we'd be somewhat equal in strength, power and age so the insisted my parents  have a baby as soon as possible. Fortunately my parents were successful...in having another baby.

Much to the councils dismay, my brothers didn't swim to the egg fast enough because what we got instead was my younger Sister. Sienna.The council was anything but subtle when it came to showing their disappointment.

My parents had been stressing over this for as long as I can remember. In all honesty, I agreed with everyone. I wasn't fit to be an alpha I was 13 and I still hadn't shifted. I spent every full moon waiting to turn and it just didn't happen, this combined with the fact I was an introvert and who couldn't stand loud noises. I either froze or spaced out. Loud noises and busy spaces were one of the many reason I never looked forward to  pack gatherings.

The Kings pack would have an annual get together with the Ace pack and some other of our other tiered allies. We'd eat food made by the Lunas, with the help of the Alphas hunting and working on the grill, while the cubs ran around in the forest or swam in the lake.

The worst part of it all was my sister Sienna being excused from most functions. Instead she spent hours locked away in her room drawing whatever came to mind. I always marvelled at her drawings , they were super advanced for a 12-year-old who considered it a hobby.

Normally I would be excused after greeting the guests, but as a soon to be alpha in training I was forced out of my room for this one. This was my first real interaction with other packs, most of the packs hated me. If they didn't say it to my face the looks on their face and whispers made it perfectly clear.

I look over to see Jordan and his friends sitting around the pool. I felt at peace knowing Jordan was here. Jordan was like the brother I never had. I was tempted to cling on to him, for the rest of the night but I promised my Luna I'd try to meet some new people.

I decided to head into the Forrest, following in the direction of the group of teens I saw leave the bbq earlier. I approached the outer perimeter of the forest, I take a pause and listen, I attempt to follow the sound of fire crackling and laughter in the distance. As I walk closer to the muffled chatter I feel a warm tingle pulse through my body. I wander further into the forest drawn to the warmth. The feeling gets stronger almost like butterflies in my heart as I walk deeper. I notice a bright orange glow between trees, as I get closer  I see some kids sitting around a bonfire.

I lurk closer to see Kayden Ace the future Alpha of the Ace pack sitting with a group of his pack members. I breathe  heavily as it begins feel like there's a magnet in my chest urging me to get closer to...him.

I slowly approach the glowing warmth of the fire, the feeling grows stronger drawing me into trance. I break out of it as I accidentally bump into someone "Oh I'm sorry" I say quietly "ugh stupid bitch!" I look to see an angry looking girl with what smells like beer poured down her white top, she had blonde hair and dark blue eyes from what I could see. What I could also see was she was about to slap me and probably send me flying.

I close my eyes waiting for the impact, I wasn't sure if it was sweat from my forehead or a tear from my eyes but I feel a drop of  water stream down my cheek"Oh my god are you....going to cry? seriously?" She taunts me "guys what a pathetic-" she's cut off by a roar "Enough" I hear a familiar voice bark. I look up to see Kayden now standing in front of me "What why?" She asks confused "This is Aaliyah," he says nodding behind him to me "And..." she asks clueless "Aaliyah King" her face immediately changes. She now looked scared. He nods in the direction of the fire and she walks back to the others looking as if she's about to cry. That's how any sane person would react to the 'Kings' name.

Kayden still had his back to me. I didn't know why but I couldn't help but reach out to touch him. A jolt of electricity pulsed through me "Ow what the hell" he says turning around looking at his hand and then up to me "are you my?" I say looking at him. His eyes turn a dark black "don't say mate" He says clenching his jaw "You're my mate?" I say unsure. I know I hadn't shifted yet but I knew enough about the feeling of finding your mate to know he was my mate "You haven't even shifted how the fuck can I be your mate" he basically barks causing all his friends to look over. When I said most sane wolves would be afraid of the Kings name Kayden and his family were the exception. We all knew how powerful both our packs were"h-how do you I haven't sh-shifted yet?" I stutter in disbelief "EVERYONE KNOWS YOU'RE THE WEAK KINGS BITCH WHOS PARENTS ARE HIDING TILL THEH CAN MARRY HER OFF CAUSE SHE WILL NEVER BE WORTHY OF BECOMING THE KINGS ALPHA!" I didn't understand I remember Kayden always being kind and treating me just like the rest of the members in my pack "Why are you being like this you were so nice to m-" he cuts me off before I can finish "I was only nice to you because our parents were around the fuck do I look like to you im not in your pack, Im not your friend and I sure as hell am not your mate" he says backing me into a tree "My mate will be someone worthy of carrying their pack . My mate won't be some girl who got lucky by birth that can't even shift" he towers over me causing his friends to laugh "But Kayd-" he cuts me off once again "I dont care if you think we're mates, in your little imagination I might be your mate but you sure as hell aren't mine and just to be 100% clear so you don't go thinking about it when you're locked back up I'm your tower I FUTURE ALPHA OF THE KINGS PACK KAYDEN ACE REJECT YOU NON ALPHA NON WEREWOLF AALIYAH KING" this isnt right. I guess I was...wrong. He wasnt my mate... he couldn't be.

At this point it just felt like I was desperate...looking for something to convince myself I was a wolf, a wolf that was worthy of carrying my packs name. I was wrong. suddenly everything turned black. I went weak and gave into the growing darkness.