~Twelve~

I didn't drive Fate home. Actually, I was upset the entire rest of the day and ditched last period because I didn't even want to look Fate in the eye again after what I did.

I knew he was mad at me, just as he had every right to. What I did was not okay. But I still did it and there's no going back now.

Fate wanted me to keep this a secret, but someone other than Claire needed to know about it.

"Hey, Evan. How was school?" Ethan asked from the kitchen. It didn't surprise me to see him there - he ate us out of house. Mom and Dad always joked that when Ethan moved out, we would have enough money to buy a yacht.

I dropped my car keys in the container beside the doorway entrance and sighed. I stumbled my way over to the kitchen counter. Ethan watched silently as I sat myself down at the bar.

"I know that look - you did something you regret, now you need advice. Lay it on me, kiddo." He announced, his blue eyes twinkling with curiosity.

I always came to Ethan for everything, so this time wasn't really different, other than the fact that my current problem consists of a boy.

Ethan hated the thought of me having anything remotely close to a boyfriend. I didn't even have any guy friends because he used to always scare them on back in secondary school.

I took a deep breath. "You aren't going to like this one." I warned, eyeing him carefully.

Ethan's eyebrows shot up. "Oh? I haven't heard that one before."

"There's this... Fellow student... Who I drive home every day - or used to, at least. I have been driving them home the past month or so, maybe, only I was never actually dropping him off at his house-"

"Him?" Ethan cut me off, crossing his arms. Ethan always crossed his arms when he didn't like something, especially when it included me and guys. He seemed to think that crossing his arms made him look more "intimidating" and "vulgar" when he really looked like a disapproving father when he did it.

I roll my eyes. "That's beside the point-"

"No, it isn't. You've been carrying a boy in your car for a month now? Do Mom and Dad know such violating information?"

"How is this "violating"?! Do you even know the actual definition of the word "violating"? I didn't even actually drive him home because he never let me! Yesterday though, Claire rode with me and we dropped him off where I normally do. She convinced me to follow him home to see why he never let me carry him the whole way."

"So? Evanine, I'm still mad that you have secretly had a young male inside your vehicle."

"Ethan, it doesn't matter! What matters is that he's a squatter! He wears the same thing every day without change. Sometimes he comes to school stinking. I told him today and he got upset! Ethan, he promised me not to tell anyone."

"But someone needs to know. His living state is not okay. He needs help." Ethan replied, his eyebrows furrowed. I could see the wheels turning in his head, trying to think of a way to help.

"I know, that's why I told him I couldn't maintain that promise. Then he said " Then don't," and I don't know what that means! Ethan, I need help. I don't know what to do. I don't know how long he's been living like this or who he even lives with." I sighed, putting my head in my hands.

This entire situation was just crazy.

Ethan grew quiet.

for once, the man is silent.

After a moment, he spoke up. "Okay, well we need to tell Mom and Dad. They should know who to talk to. After that, we'll take it from there."

I exhaled, relieved.

Knowing that Fate was going to get help was all that mattered. I shot up from my seat and ran around the bar, crushing Ethan in a big hug. His arms wrapped around my shoulders tightly as he planted a fatherly kiss on the top of my head.

I smiled, leaning into his embrace.

When we pulled away, Ethan gave me a stern look.

"What?" My eyebrows stitched together.

"What's his name?"

"Fate Westbrook, why?"

"Because I like to get fairly close to all of my subjects." Ethan shrugged, a small smirk on his lips.

I gasped and slapped his arm. "Do not, Ethan, I swear"

"You can't stop me, little sis!" He exclaimed, letting out a poor attempt of an evil laugh.

"Watch me!" I retorted, chasing him around the kitchen. Ethan picked up a red plastic spatula and was waving it around, listing all the ways he was going to cook Fate.

"Wait til Dad finds out." Ethan teased, waving his spatula in my direction.

"Finds out what?" Mom and Dad ask in unison as they emerge from the staircase.

We both froze in our place. My cheeks got hot.

Ethan let out a low chuckle before he waved his spatula around one more time.

"Don't you say it," I threatened, my voice low.

Ethan grinned evilly. "Evanine had a boy in her car!"

"YOU ARE SO DEAD, ETHAN JAMES LEWIS!"

---

Yeeeeesh, tough crowd.