Katherine shuddered at what I said.

“Dinner should be prepared soon. Let’s go back upstairs.” Father said.

            Before we exited the tomb, I turned back and looked at the armor once more. I wanted it. More than anything. Not only could it help me in battle, but I had a feeling I could help me on my missions at James’s village. As we walked to the dinning hall, Katherine told me that Annika did well for her first lesson. The scholars felt that if she continued with her eagerness to learn, she could read and write in a matter of days. For supper, it was roast hog and elk. The chef cooked it rotisserie. Annika had only fruits and vegetables. In the middle of the meal, we heard a ruckus outside in the hall. The doors flew open as a servant tried to stop a woman entering. She was pushing the guard and shouting to see my father.

“Let her through, Bernard.” Father said.

            Bernard stood down and the woman went to my father’s seat.

“What is the trouble?”

“Sire, my children. They’ve…they’ve been taken by my beloved. I did not know where else to go. He wants money. More than I have. If I don’t give it to him, he will execute them, publicly.” The woman explained.

“Where is he now?”

“The village square.”

“Derek, Damon, get your weapons ready. We have a problem to deal with.” Father ordered us.

            Damon and I jumped from our seats and bolted to our bedrooms. I took my sword and my blade. We walked out of the castle and headed to the square. Sure enough, a man about twenty with brown hair hidden under a cap was holding a knife to a boy about nine. On the ground beside him was a girl about seven with her hands bound behind her.

“Bring me the money.” The man ordered.

“Why do you need it? Surely you have plenty.” Father said.

“Bring me the money or I’ll cut his throat now!” the man shouted, pressing the knife harder to the boy’s neck.

“Fine, here.” Father said, holding out the sack of coins.

            I snuck away and climbed to the roofs. Using my poison darts, I shot the man in the right cheek. He began choking and coughed up blood. The boy escaped from his grasp and ran over to free his sister. The man died quickly. I went back into the ranks and one of our soldiers was checking the man. He found the dart and handing it to Father.

“Be careful sire, the tip is very poisonous.” The soldier warned him.

“Poison?” Damon asked. “Could the work of this man’s death be connected to the death of James’s captains?”

“I don’t see how. They were killed with a blade, not poison, but poison is another assassin tool.” Uncle said.

“Maybe this assassin is a silent hero. When he killed the guards, he was saving children from James’s soldiers and he killed this man when he was threating the children.” Father said.

“A protector of the young?” I asked.

“I will give fifty gold pieces for the one who finds out who the assassin is.”

            We headed back to the castle to finish our interrupted meal. Katherine and Annika were surprised to hear that the assassin had possibly struck again. Father went to relay the incident to Mother.

“So, an assassin?” Katherine asked. “Just like our great-great-great-great grandfather.”

“What are you saying?” Damon asked.