Chapter 18

Chapter 18
"I knew he was bad news."
**

What a coincidence that it's me he wants. The question is why does he want me?

"Why do you want her," Axel asks.

At least Axel understands me, thank you. Coleman smirks and pulls out his gun. He points it at me, the guys don't dare raise their guns. He motions for me to come over to him. It's gonna take a lot more than a gun pointed at me to get my frozen feet to move.

Marie decides to get in on the fun. "If you don't come we will kill your mother."

The guys glance at me wearily, "you don't have my mom."

I know Marie is just bluffing, I hope. Her evil grins tells me other wise. This lady has never had an evil bone in her body, so how is she married to the devil? Coleman sighs dramatically and whispers something to one of the unfamiliar men. He nods and moves to the back of the group. I can't make out the guys face, but something sets me on edge about him.

My heart pounds so loud I believe Zeke can hear it, and he's in the back. The unfamiliar guy brings a women with a back thrown over her head in front of Coleman.

I stiffen as I recognize the thrashing body. Tears whelp up in my eyes, it's me or mom. I shake my head, I can't lose someone else.

"Give me, my mom," I expect my voice to be small, but am shocked when it comes out firm. Mom suddenly stops thrashing and bursts into loud sobs.

"Valentine?" Her voice cracks, she can't see me through the burlap bag.

"Mom your going to be okay." She breaks into another crying fit. My heart breaks a little more as she sobs. Her hands lay limp in her lap as she sits on the back of her legs, her shoulders shake from the tears. The mystery man olds her by the collar of her shirt.

"You move over here, and will give her to the guys. Simple really." I glare at Coleman and take one threatening step forward. I notice Coleman perk up, he thinks it's this easy. Oh I'm going to make it hard for him, really hard. I take another step but am stopped by Shepherd.

"You can't do this," his voice is weak. Which is funny because he isn't the one giving himself up.

"Shepherd take care of mom and Shawn. Can you do that for me?" He nods and I think I see a tear roll down his face. I can't see much, because of the darkness of the alley. The moon is my only light source, other than the flashing lights off the police car and close buildings.

I send a grateful smile towards Axel and Phoenix. "We're gonna get you."

I smile sadly at Phoenix, "I escaped once, likely I won't again."

And this time I know I see streaks of tears run down the guys faces. I really meant that much to them? A tear runs down my face as I bring them in for a hug. They hug me so hard my breath almost stops. Once our hug is broken I make my descend towards mom and the man. Once the man come into view I in my tracks.

I can't believe he is with them, "Ace?"

He smiles at me, "I'll never give up."

Those words send shivers through my whole body. My ex-best friend has also betrayed me. "H-how did you even know about Coleman?"

He makes my mom stand and pushes her towards the guys. She wobbled her way forward until the guys stop her. They help untie her, but keep their eyes on us.

"That day in class you rejected me I felt empty. So I wanted to get back at how you made me feel."

His tone rises as he grabs a hold of me. "I knew he was bad news," I hear Shepherd mumble hatefully.