01. Amidst the Rain

The gentle sound of rain cried out harmonically whenever it met with the surface of her umbrella

The gentle sound of rain cried out harmonically whenever it met with the surface of her umbrella. Pitter, patter, they sang. The melody itself was enough to cloak the loudness of her fracturing heart, one that was hushed to everyone but her.

She didn't know how long the rain had drenched her for. The umbrella was abandoned long ago as it now laid beside its owner. It watched the tears she shed intertwine with the tears of the sky, droplets dancing hastily on her before it reached the puddle at her bare feet.

Earlier, the girl had pretended to bend down and fiddle with her laceless shoes. The purpose was to fool the hooded man following her before she threw the shoe at him and sprinted off. The perpetrator's presence was already noticed when she began her walk.

She was confined for too long inside her tiny apartment and sighed in relief when the perfectly round moon was in her vision. However, being too distracted by the wavering of fresh air, she finally let her guard down and ignored the hairs standing up on the back of her neck.

Now to make matters worse, her left foot was oozing out blood from the cut she got from being barefoot, and stupidity had trapped the poor girl in an alley.

And so, there was nothing more to do than to wait for the hungry predator to come and devour her.

She continued to weep as the rain poured down on her, wishing nothing more than to be in the comfort of her ugly yet, cozy apartment. All she had in mind was a small meal and fresh air – which she hadn't had in a week.

"It's okay, it's okay." She repeatedly convinced herself, shutting her eyes closed when wet footsteps resonated to her ears.

Cold fingers grasped her chin and she shuddered at the feel. She caught her lip in between her teeth to prevent the raging sobs that would erupt.

Her time was up.

"My, my. I've finally found you." The stranger hummed with a firm hold on her chin. "I must applause. You've hidden very well."

Her eyes shot open as air found its way into her lungs once again, not knowing he had the capability to constrict her breathing. The girl soon found herself staring into the doe orbs of the stranger, entranced on how his eyes sparkled under the dim light and illuminated such innocence.

"Not well enough," she hiccuped, snapping out of her daze.

"Correct." The male's mouth formed into a smirk at her remark. "I must say, this has to be the best birthday present I've yet to get."

"I'm flattered." She scoffed, somehow finding the confidence to talk back. "Gift wrap me in a body bag first. Then I'll look like a real present."

"You unexpectedly got quite the mouth," he chuckled and abruptly pulled her head back. His rather warm breath fanned her ear as he leaned in. "Maybe I could use it for other... useful purposes."

"Let's not make a scene when we get out of here, shall we?" He smugly backed away when he was satisfied with his prey's reaction; wide-eyed and mouth slightly parted.

The latter could only nod, gulping at his comment when she pieced the meaning together.

Who knew what this guy could do.

They both walked out of the alley with the stranger's left arm wrapped tightly around his prize's waist, the other arm supporting an umbrella for the two.

To the pedestrians waiting with them to cross the road, the pair would look like any ordinary couple in love. In reality, the hand on her waist was bearing a small pocket knife that annoyingly poked at her hips.

"Who are you?" She asked. The answer was known, but a bit of hope was still there. What was there to hope for? you'd ask. Even she did not know the answer.

"I was hired to kill you." He turned to face her as the walk signal blinked on. The continuing road on the other side provided a fate she was uncertain about.

With what he said next, the rain above their heads cascaded down harsher at his words as if nature itself feared for what might come upon the girl's destiny.

"But not yet, Scarlet. I might even keep you if I like."

━━━━━━

HELLUR, this is the first chapter of Rain. It's short T^T.

I hope this wasn't too bad because I don't want to bore away everyone.

Please vote and comment – also provide me with feedback! It would give me tons of motivation to continue this unnoticed story.

— Kim(^ν^)