chapter five.

chapter five.
rules are rules, though, right?

WINTER
YEAR 1986

"love is like the lottery"

Snow was falling outside in the cold of December as little Holly pressed her face against the frosted window, a look of awe and a small smile on her face as she got a look at all the pure white snowflakes in the dark. Mike was in the kitchen helping his mother make chocolate chip cookies from scratch. His hands were dirty, but he didn't mind. They smelled like vanilla.

His mother laughed at him before grabbing the tip of her apron, reaching up high to wipe off his cheek. "How did you end up with cookie dough on your cheek, Michael?"

Mike smiled uneasily, shrugging at her. "I may have taken a small sample when you weren't looking."

She shook her head softly as she continued placing the small balls of cookie dough onto the pan. "You can get salmonella, Michael."

Mike huffed lightly, "My stomach is tough. One little taste of cookie dough isn't going to give me salmonella, Mom."

She tsked lightly, placing the second batch in the oven. "Is the basement clean? I don't want your friends to be welcomed into a mess, Mike."

Mike wiped his hands off with a kitchen towel, reaching a hand up to his hair and finding that he had forgotten it was in a curly mess. He didn't mind that, even though normally he would, but it was a lazy afternoon on Christmas Eve and his friends would already be here soon to exchange gifts so he decided to just leave it be.

"That'll be all for now in the kitchen," his mother told him. "Go fix up the basement."

He nodded before taking off the extra apron she had offered him, walking out past the living room, glancing at Holly who was practically bouncing with excitement. Pausing briefly, he turned to his little sister, scratching the nape of his neck.

"Hey, maybe we can go outside when everyone leaves," he suggested.

Holly immediately turned around in her spot, her eyes widened in joy, mouth gaping. "Oh my, gosh. Really?"

Mike nodded, chewing his lip nervously. He had actually wanted to spend a little extra time with Eleanor, but if Holly wanted to go play in the snow, then he would take her. "Yeah, totally. If Mom lets us."

The little blonde girl bolted away from the window, her pigtails swishing as she went into the kitchen, her words hard to make out as she spoke too fast with excitement. He shook his head, a smile on his face before opening the basement door. Holly ran past him upstairs, giggling.

Mike walked down the steps into the basement, taking a good look around the area. The small wooden table off to the corner was cleared off from the last time he was down here, the sofa had blankets thrown over it, a few pillows settled atop on each side. The television set he had saved up for with his summer job was across from the sofa, no trash or misplaced items around it.

Satisfied, he went back up the steps, tugging down the sleeve of his striped knit sweater. He walked into the kitchen, finding a pouting Holly being spoken to by their mother.

"Don't worry, Holly," she told her, sighing. "Nancy will be here tomorrow. It's a long drive from her college."

Mike snorted. "Come on, Holly, you'll have fun with me until she gets here and you two can have your girl time. El is coming over in a bit, though."