Project: Cure for those demons 6

Ellen's first attempt to purify the crystals had failed.
After Jack had done a analysis on them it turned out that there was almost no difference at all, except for that their value had dropped . He had been slightly frustrated at her when he told her and almost scolded her.
The only good things that had happened her in it all as that he did bring crystals with him everyday so she could go on with her work, and that they had decided to sponsoring her with purifying gears while she did the best she could to help them.
After weeks of working on the problem she was called to his library by Alice.

He had worked late as usually and Ellen had walked to the workshop after the dinner as always, trying to do some work.
She had seen and heard a couple of things some days earlier that was bothering her and she needed an answer from Jack.
"You know I am losing money by letting you destroy the crystals right?"
He was clearly angry and stared right into her.

She knew that and she tried her very best to finish the quest. Or at least she had tried her very best earlier.
"Jack. May I ask a question?"
"What are the crystals I am trying to purify, they ain't collecting objects, right?"
Jack looked even more angry at her and shake his head.
"A few days ago I overheard a conversation by two people that clearly was junkies. They talked about a drug they called crystals and described it. Everything they said fitted perfectly with the crystals that I am helping you to purify. I ain't purifying a drug, right father?"
"Yes you are."

He didn't even tried to hide the fact of what he made her do. And it terrified Ellen even more, would he just spill the fact just like that if he was arrested to? What would happen to everyone if he was arrested, what would happen to Ellen and Alice? Could he even be arrested?
He tried to motivate the making of the drug with that they needed money to survive. And that money came from him selling that drug. Would he ever stop selling the drug they would be finding themselves at the street with all the other homeless people. Which was a situation that Ellen most probably wouldn't be able to survive in, not Alice either for that sake. Not to mention that only the fact he was losing money put them in the risk to get thrown out at the street. So if she didn't want that to happen, she had to solve the problem.

...........................

Alice looked angry at her sister, she wasn't only slacking off when she would be cleaning. Now she was even being only stupid and ignored her own needs.
Ellen had left for her workshop as always after finishing the last house chores, but she never left the workshop. Not even when it was time for breakfast. Which was the reason Alice did bring some food and tea with her.
Ellen wasn't allowed to even think about not eating, not during Alice watch at least.
Ellen was bitterly muttering while eating the food.
She really seemed tired, there was a high possibility that she hadn't slept anything during the night.

Alice did feel very uncomfortable with the fact that Ellen had start to ignore her needs, if she didn't stop it she was in risk of both disappearing and get badly harmed.
To avoid it so was either Alice forced to make sure that Ellen took care of herself, or Ellen had to solve the problem of Jack's request. Neither of the problems was easy to solve.
If Alice only could have been as smart as her sister, it would have been so much easier. Then she really could have helped, somehow.

The table there Ellen had all her stuffs was a mess, paper was mixed with cogs and other stuffs. The thing that she seemed to be working at also stood there. Or at least Alice thought it was something that she worked at, because it didn't looked like something anyone would worked on.
It was just a pair of plates out together, and some different cogs and stuffs set up. Just by looking at the thing it was impossible to tell what she was trying to do.
"Ellen, How are you trying to make the crystals from father better?"

She had only heard that Ellen had been asked to make the crystals purer, what it now could mean?
One of the reason that Alice always had idolised her sister was because no matter how bothersome Alice could be, Ellen always respected her. Just like this time when Ellen tried to simplify the answer so Alice easily could follow what her sister meant.
She looked sceptical at the purifying part, it felt unbelievable that a part like that could purify anything. And if it wouldn't have been that it was Ellen that told her that, she would never had believed in it.
Alice looked a little closer at the cog that they said would make the cog better, if it wouldn't have been for the propeller it sure looked like any other cog.