XVIII. ALDERTREE MY ARSE

MALIA WAS NUMB

MALIA WAS NUMB.

She didn't know why she was so upset, but she was. All she could do was lay on her bed with tears rolling down the side of her face. She wasn't upset about jace joining valentine. No, that was second on the list. She was upset because she felt like she could've done more. She should've done more.

The only person who had come to see if she was ok was Izzy. Malia didn't mind people not coming to see her, it was easier that way. She just assumed clary and Jocelyn had warned her friends about being around her when she was emotional. Izzy, of course, had come to see her anyways.

Izzy would class malia as her best friend, and she would also class herself as Malia's. This is why she went to see her in her vulnerable state. Seeing her friend cry and knowing there was nothing she could do to ease the pain, hurt her. Malia had not left her room since they woke Jocelyn up.

Even people who barely knew her knew this was weird, they normally saw her staring at the screens trying to understand things, or her reading a book about runes in the middle of the institute, or her sneaking into the kitchen to get something to satiate her cravings for deer.

Malia was standing next to Izzy in the ops centre as her mother shared her speech "we are at war.

Valentine now has the mortal cup, with which he is, no doubt, raising a new army... and one of our own has joined him" maryse spoke "looks like the queens taking back her kingdom" Izzy snarked, malia couldn't help but smirk

"As a result, the clave has declared a state of emergency at the institute. Their first priority is to replace the current leadership, who they have deemed wholly ineffectual. It is an honour to introduce the newly appointed head of the New York institute, clave representative, Victor Aldertree" maryse walked of the stage and Aldertree took her place

"This isn't gonna end well" malia mumbled "did you know about this?" malia asked Izzy and Alec "no" they replied in unison "maybe this is why dad went back to Idris" Izzy suggested. Aldertree was now front and centre of the stage "my fellow shadow hunters. It's an honour to be here with you all. We have to find jace wayland"

Malia scoffed at his words "no shit" "he's a shadow hunter and we don't leave our people behind. The answer to his location may very well lie in this room. So, I wanna speak with everyone who went on a mission where jace disappeared. One last thing; effective immediately, the institute is on lockdown. But it's only temporary. Let's turn this institute around" Aldertree finished and walked off of the stage

"I haven't even met him yet and I already wanna claw out his tongue" malia folded her arms across her chest "wait" clary said "if we're on lockdown, then whose out looking for jace" "we'll this off something, don't worry" Izzy replied "jace is tough. Valentine will never break him"

And alarm sounded and malia instantly went to the heart of the institute.

There, she saw a hologram of jace and in bold, red writing 'WANTED. Dead or Alive' "what's going on?" Izzy asked "Aldertree said he wanted to rescue jace" clary said. Aldertree then walked into the room "actually clary, I said I wanted to find him. And you gave me the clue I needed to do just that"

Malia growled and lunged at clary. She gripped her by the collar of her coat and lifted her from the ground slightly "what did you do, clary?" she growled. Malia's emotions were taking control, and that was never good, Her eyes were a magnificent blue. Izzy was the first to cop onto what was going on and removed malia from clary

"hey, relax, relax" Izzy cooed. Malia was pissed at clary, no, she was infuriated. She never thought the girl, who had been like a sister to her, would do something like this. "is this everyone?" Aldertree asked from the centre of the circle that had formed

"fantastic. First up, all downworlders are forbidden from entering the institute without my prior approval. For those still present, good day. Mr. Graymark..." Luke tried talking his way out of it but Aldertree 'insisted' "how about I insist on tearing you limb from limb" malia growled but Aldertree ignored it "you too... Simon"

"it's almost dawn" Simon said "I don't have anywhere to go" "hey, you're a smart guy.im sure you'll figure something out". Aldertree clapped his hands and spoke "now... let's get to it. I've reviewed your statements, along with reports of your unsanctioned missions. And I can come to no other conclusion; that jace wayland is a traitor to the clave"

"jace is not a traitor" malia said "point of fact. Clary said jace called to warn you about valentines trap, which got me thinking... jace had multiple chances to kill valentine but chose to let him leave. Now, valentine, jace and the cup are missing. Do the math" Aldertree said "i hate math" malia snarked "there is no way we're going to help you hunt jace" clary said and malia murmured a short 'shut your mouth'

"and I'd never ask you to. You and your friends are prohibited from any further involvement for the hunt for Jace Wayland" Aldertree said "what?" Izzy questioned"the rest of you, back to work. I'm lifting the lockdown on the institute, except for clary, malia and Jocelyn. Given your relationship to valentine and jace. Want to keep a close eye on you"

"I'm gonna kill him. Slowly and painfully" malia growled and went to follow Aldertree but Izzy and Alec had stopped her

 Slowly and painfully" malia growled and went to follow Aldertree but Izzy and Alec had stopped her

shorter chapter today guys,
terribly sorry,
till next time lovelies,
Author