chapter eleven

Depuis le début

"I'm moving to Toledo."

jughead

Her emerald eyes are quickly glazed over with tears brimming on her waterline. The fluorescent bulbs above us reflect a bright white on them. She blinks and a single tear falls down her check, which she quickly wipes away. Her fist clenched until her knuckles turn white. Saying nothing, she turns and walks away.

I was angry when I texted my mom that, and I regret it. But I can't back out. As stupid as it sounds, seeing as she backed out on me. I've missed Betty, so much in the last week. But I don't know how to apologize to her. Whenever I think about her my stomach churns and I feel empty. Like I finally found my light and then it was taken away, and now all that's around me is static.

...

Ding

The screen of my phone lights up.

betty: just write your poems and I'll write mine and maybe we can meet up and compare once

betty: maybe . and if so only once okay

jughead: well if that maybe turns into a yes just knock on my door the day before Christmas Eve and maybe I'll answer

...

I know I'm a writer, but trying to channel all of my emotion into simple poems seems to be the hardest task that's ever been presented to me. In twenty minutes, all I've finished is the haiku.

grey clouding the sky
a glowing girl on my mind
you are my sunshine

Another 20 minutes pass, and I have my name poem.

Bright and warm on the darkest of days, I feel
Empty without her hand in mine, my mind is
Tainted, and only her kiss can make me feel
Tranquility, I am only at peace with her, I
Yearn the day she is back in my arms

I've made a huge mistake. I should've told her about my mother. I should've been there to hold her tight and ensure her I would never leave her. I would always be by her side. She would always have a shoulder to cry on as long as I was there.

Maybe that's what made me push her away. I can't deal with these kinds of overwhelming emotions. How am I supposed to explain how I feel if I don't even know.

But maybe I do know.

Maybe I love Betty Cooper.

Scratch that.

I definitely love Betty Cooper.

And it might be too soon, but I intend to tell her that. Sadly, I can't do that if I move to Toledo. I quickly grab my phone and dial my mothers number.

"Hey Juggie what's up?" She quickly answers. I wince at the use of that nickname. Juggie. Only Betty calls me that now.

"Listen.. I don't really know the right way to say this-"

"It's okay Jug, you don't have to move up here with us. I know you can't leave your girl." She cuts me off before I can even tell her.