Chapter Twenty-Three

I keep waiting to change my mind, to decide that my dad's the jerk I thought he was before and that I want nothing more to do with him, ever, but that doesn't happen. He drives out to see me most Saturdays, leaving Columbus before dawn so he can run with me before things start heating up, and I actually begin looking forward to spending time with him. Despite his confidence, he's no match for me, but after our first run where I totally dusted him, I dial it back and jog at an easy pace, listening to him and sometimes telling him things about my life. We talk a little bit about my plans for college, and when he tells me it's time for him to submit the paperwork to enroll me in school at the end of the summer, my heat speeds up. Instead of forcing me like before, this time he tells me about the Academy and asks if it interests me. I could probably avoid a whole lot of drama by just scrapping it and enrolling somewhere else, but I want the chance to make friends with Janel and Rosie again, and I actually liked most of my teachers. And then there's Rakesh, I think, but I shy away from the memory of him and try to think about other things. Just because I'm getting a do-over is no guarantee that he'll even be interested in me this time around, and I don't want to get my hopes up only to be destroyed again. Still, a faint flicker of hope settles into my chest, and I give Dad the go-ahead to enroll me in the private school again.

Dad is interesting, and nothing like I thought when I'd met him the first time around. He usually stays for the day after we get back from our run, and it's fun to watch him and Jacob reminisce. Slowly, like pulling teeth, I get them to talk about my mom, and as the summer stretches on, I start to feel like maybe I remember her, just a little.

When August starts winding to a close, Dad calls to ask if I've got any furniture or big stuff I want to move, or do I want him to buy me something new. Instead of telling him to do whatever he wants, I send him the link to the Ikea bedroom set I've been eyeing, and then I start packing up my room.

The night before I'm going to move, Jacob comes in and shuts the door. He looks around my room quietly, taking in the walls that are now bare of posters, photos, and random memorabilia, and I wonder if he's going to ask me to stay. I actually don't know what I'd say if he did; I love my foster family, and I always will, but after this summer and the whole mess of last year, I want a chance to start over. And I hate to admit it, but my country girl soul is actually missing the noise and bustle of living in the city.

Jacob sits down on the end of my bed. "I'm sorry I never told you about your parents," he says.

I look at him, surprised. "That wasn't your job."

"Yes, it was. If I'd said anything, maybe you and your dad could have built a real relationship sooner."

I sit down next to him. "We've got a chance to do that now."

He shakes his head, not looking at me. "I feel like I've cheated you both out of years."

"Hey," I say sharply, and he looks up. I swallow back the tears that are threatening to overwhelm me. "I wouldn't trade growing up here for anything. You're a great dad."

His eyes get misty and he reaches out to hug me. "I'm lucky I had you as my daughter, Lana."

"I'm still your daughter." I pause, suddenly shy. "I mean, I am if you still want me."

He lifts an eyebrow. "You don't just want a clean break, a fresh start, all that crap?"

I laugh, but it sounds more like a hiccuppy sob. "I want to come home from college to somewhere I can see the stars. And I want to know that I can run down that dusty road at any time of the day or night and you and the boys will have my back."

He wraps me up in a bear hug. "We'll always have your back, Lana. And this will always be home for you."

We cling to each other for a moment, but when Jacob pulls back, he's smiling. Gently, he cuffs me under the chin. "I'm proud of you, kiddo. It takes guts to embrace change, and you're taking it like a champ."

I swallow and nod, too emotional to speak. I wonder what he'd say if I told him I've gone through all this before? I push the thought out of my mind. Even though Jacob was Mom's best friend, nothing he or Dad has said have indicated that either of them knew there was anything not-quite human about her, and I don't want to test his patience or his love by dumping on him about the crazy Greek gods who've become part of my life. Although, I think as Jacob leaves me alone and I slowly return to packing up the last of my stuff, I haven't seen any of them since Coach brought me home. Impulsively, I send him a quick text to let him know I'm leaving tomorrow, but he doesn't respond, and I try not to feel the slight twinge of abandonment that creeps into my heart. Right before I go to bed, though, my phone buzzes, and I smile when I see the string of celebratory emojis from my grandfather.

***

I've only been back in the city for a week, but it already feels comfortable and familiar. I keep toying with the idea of going to the sporting goods store to see if Aphrodite is around, but part of me kind of wants to wait until school starts. If she's still the cheer coach, I'll need to check in with her and make sure she doesn't have any grudges against me or anything, but for the last days of summer, I kind of just want to pretend like I'm not living in a time warp. Still, every morning when I lace up my shoes and head down to the river to run, I wonder if I'm going to bump into Kary and Harold again. With each day that passes without the presence of any gods or goddess, I start to relax, and by the time the last Friday before the school year rolls around, I've almost forgotten to be on my guard when I'm out in the city.

After my run, I stop off at a small coffee shop I've been meaning to try, but as I grab my scone and latte and head for the door, a familiar voice stops me dead in my tracks.

"I think you dropped this."

Slowly, I turn around, struggling to keep my face politely blank, but it's hard not to break into a wide smile when I see Rakesh. He's just as pretty as I remember, and my body instinctively leans toward him, remembering what it felt like to be pressed against him at the dance that never happened. I school my features back to neutral, but a slow smile spreads over his face as he hands me my phone. I must have set it on the counter when I ordered and left it, and I reach for it, grateful.

Rakesh pauses, still smiling at me, and then he takes a step closer and swipes the screen. A dark curl of hair falls over his forehead as he types something into my phone, but before I can ask what he's doing, he hands it to me with a heart-stopping grin.

We stand there staring at each other like idiots for a second, and then I clear my throat. "Thanks," I say, waving my phone at him stupidly.

"Welcome. And I hope you will," he adds, flirtatiously.

Before I can ask what he's talking about, he waves and heads for the door. Confused, I stand rooted to the spot for a moment, but then somebody coming in the shop jostles my shoulder and I shake myself, snapping out of my reverie. I move out of the way of the door and sit down at a table near the window, swiping the screen on my phone idly and wondering what that was all about.

Instinctively, I open the contacts, and I scroll until I find Rakesh's name. I'd deleted his number after Coach Merk sent me back in time, but my heart speeds up at the sight of his name in my phone once more. I touch the contact, opening the details, and then I start to giggle. He's added himself to my favorites, and where it says "notes", he's typed, "for a good time, call". My giggle turns into a snort, and then I remember that I'm sitting in a coffee shop with people all around me, and I try to get a grip on myself.

I'm still laughing by the time I get back to my apartment building, and I rub my thumb over the contact information for Rakesh again. If it were anybody but him, I'd think the guy was just being an ass and delete it without a second thought, but I know Rakesh. He may not remember me, but there's nothing I don't remember about him. For all he knows, I'm just some random girl in the coffee shop who he'll never see again, but I know better. Smiling, I press the elevator button and send a quick text.

The first time I was in Columbus, I felt trapped, and everything fell apart. Now, though, everything's different; I'm not going to waste this second chance.

Rakesh texts me back almost immediately, and my pulse jumps. For the first time, I feel like the possibilities are endless.