Chapter 20 - Synchronicity

For a certain operative, the synchronization was exactly what was wanted and needed, and expected. That operative worked for Section 31, and reported directly to Harriet Caul. That operative also worked for someone trying to overthrow the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance, the highest unit of government in the Mirror Universe.

This was not known to Harriet Caul, or to Alynna Necvhayev, or really to most people on this side of the pond. But on the other side, in the Mirror Universe, this person's status was known to the highest of the high, or at least those who aspired to be there. These people were neither Klingon, nor were they Cardassian. They were human. Well, Terran, to be precise.

And, much like Douglas Jay Hayes Beckett had founded a dynasty in 2158 with the birth of his son by his wife, Lili O'Day – that was Jeremiah Logan Beckett, known as Joss – so, too, had a dynasty been founded on the other side of things. But this one was deliberately founded, and calculated to be as perfect as possible, and it was in 2156. It was with the birth of Jun Daniels Sato, a temporally paradoxical child.

Jun's mother had been the notorious Empress Hoshi Sato. His father had been a time traveler from the thirty-first and thirty-second centuries, a mostly human man named Richard M. Daniels.

Jun had never had children, but he had four half-brothers and one half-sister. The girl, Takara Masterson Sato, married Charles Tucker IV, the son of Charles Tucker III and Elizabeth Cutler. Takara's grandson, Charles Tucker VI, succeeded Jun and his half-brother, Kira MacKenzie Sato, and reigned as the Emperor Charles the First.

There were six emperors named Charles. The last one was ousted from power in 2370 when the Terran Empire fell. But in 2373, he began to, in earnest, work on regaining power. This coincided with him meeting the operative.

Charles VI knew that, if he could deliver a major conquest – or at least a major technological breakthrough – that he could, potentially, return to power. He had hired this operative, and had authorized experimenting with radiation band cycling. He was depending on one well-trained operative. If that operative succeeded, the rewards would be great.

If not, then the operative's head would be delivered, on a platter, to him. Such were the bloodthirsty ways of the Mirror Universe. There was a great deal of incentive for that operative to succeed.

=/\=

Wesley arrived back on the Cookie a few days later, along with M'Belle and Crita. He went straight to Mack's quarters so that they could speak in private. "You said it was urgent."

"Oh, yeah, definitely. Somebody tampered with the ionization diffuser."

"Damn, that's no good. Whaddaya wanna do?"

"I need to talk to Crita first, but I'll need for the two of you to start putting hidden cameras around the more interesting tech around here. Of course this is all secret, known only to the inner circle."

"Got it. There's a ton in engineering. For now at least, that area's pretty deserted until the others get back."

"Get Daniya to help you, yeah, that'll work. I'll work with Crita," Mack decided. "You're right; you've got a lot more area to cover and it's a better time to take care of things there, but the diffuser is the biggest priority."

"Got it." He turned to go.

"Oh, and Wes?"

"Hmm?"

"How was Earth?"

"Incredible."

"Oh? You saw your friend?"