Dancing On the Edge of My Vision

He automatically caught her when she promptly passed out, mumbling a bit. He started to think a bit again, and his first emotions were utter bliss and happiness.

She'd kissed him this time.

Hell, she'd kissed him.

It was the best Valentine's present he could have only dreamt of and never expected to have. He kept kissing her all these times, and every time she wasn't even aware that he'd had either. And now she'd kissed him (except he had a feeling she might not be fully aware either).

He didn't know whether he had the best of luck or the worst.

And then he finally remembered his promise to Kushina and was pretty sure this wasn't what she meant. His dream came back to haunt him and then he further spiraled down into a gloom.

"Eh, what's wrong?" Gamabunta's voice boomed behind him, though the boss toad was trying to do his best to be quiet to not wake up Naruto. "I thought you would have been happy Naru-chan kissed you."

Rasa looked up blankly. "I was. Still am. But then I remembered her parents, and I'm pretty sure that they would be doing their best to come back to life and kill me right now."

Gamabunta sweatdropped. "Well…good thing they're dead, heh?"

Rasa twitched. "Yeah…great. They'll just haunt me through nightmares…"

All the toads around sweatdropped this time.

He ended up brooding and stricken all night, though he selfishly kept holding onto and letting Naruto sleep peacefully in his arms. When she started to wake up in the morning, he stiffened up unnoticeably and watched her warily.

"Mm, Rasa?" she murmured sleepily.

"Morning," he moved her hair out of her eyes. "How's your head?"

She yawned. "Okay…It doesn't really hurt."

He huffed, rolling his eyes at her. "Lucky," he flicked her forehead. "Most people have killer headaches."

"And how do you feel?" she asked, still sleepy-sounding and not looking like she was going to move from him any time soon. He can be glad of that, even if it was because she was sleepy and still out of it.

Now that he was thinking about it, he felt a dull ache in his head, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it should have been –considering how strong the saké had been. Then he considered that he, guiltily enough, was still riding on the bliss of sharing a kiss with Naruto, and had sobered up quite quickly from that and from the thoughts of impending death threats through nightmares, as well as somber thoughts of Kushina and Minato and what they would be thinking of this.

"I'm doing okay," he answered her finally. "Do you remember last night?"

"Hmmm…not really," she admitted, and he inwardly sighed and smiled sadly.

Maybe it was for the best.

"I don't really either," he lied. "Come on. We should get ready for the day. You still have some more training to go, before we have to leave and go back to Suna."

"Mmkay!"

And yet he couldn't find any regrets inside of him. To be honest, he didn't want to not love Naruto or give her up, now that it's gotten to this point. Minato and Kushina wasn't there. And even though it wasn't what they would think of on taking care of her, he wasn't reneging on his promise and he was definitely going to make sure she was loved and cared for.

Just because it ended up like this, it didn't mean he was going back on his promise.

He just loved her much more than those two would have liked.