CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Alexa

I quite literally had the worst hangover, having prolonged birthday shenanigans with Chloe last night. Instead of downing water when I arrived home, I imbibed cheap alcohol until the early hours. Apparently, I thought I was insusceptible to the after-effects of excessive drinking.

"Next," I grumbled, empty coffee cup and pen in hand. "Welcome to the Coffee House. What can I get you this morning?"

"Alexa." Gray tugged my apron. "It is two in the afternoon."

Through bloodshot eyes, I stared at the female customer. "Welcome to the Coffee House. What can I get you this evening?"

"Espresso." Her eyes darted between Gray and me. "Maybe you need one, too."

I gave her a toothy smile. "I think I'm still drunk."

"Alexa." Snatching the cardboard cup from my hand, he pointed to the staff only door. "Go to my office and swallow some paracetamol. You're making me feel tired."

I complied.

I rested on the tattered leather chair inside Grayson's office and drew the apron skirt over my face.

Why did I do this to myself?

Well, in my defence, senseless intoxication made sense after the serendipitous encounter with Liam Warren. I am not over him, not by a long shot. However, months apart eased the pain in my heart until last night happened.

Now, I had to miss him all over again.

The heart wants what the heart wants. Him.

"Alexa." Gray unveiled my face. "Are you crying?"

"No," I lied, wiping the single tear away. "I just have a sore head."

His backside perched on the desk. "They won't tell you fairy tales of how girls can be dangerous and still win. They will only tell you stories where girls are sweet and kind and reject all sin. I guess, to them, it's a terrifying thought, a red riding hood who knew exactly what she was doing when she invited the wild in."

I blinked at him. "That's quite philosophical."

"Nikita Gill," he confirmed. "I'm a self-proclaimed logophile." His worried eyes lingered on my face. "Who was he?"

"Aren't you astute?" It's a statement, not a question.

He beamed. "Ever so."

Ruffling the messy knot on my head, I lowered my feet to the ground. "Are you familiar with the name Liam Warren?"

His face turned three shades of pallid grey. "Why?"

The panic-stricken undercurrent in his voice was alarming. "Never mind."

"Alexa." Gripping my wrist, he leaned in closer. "Are you in trouble? You need to stay far away from that man, doll. He's not somebody you should align yourself with."

I was overwhelmed with possessiveness. "Do you know him personally, Gray?"

"I don't need to know Warren personally." His forehead furrowed. "Everybody knows what that savage is all about."

"Defaming someone based on rumours is wrong." His judgments peeved me. "Liam might have a reputation, but you don't know him the same way I do. He's more than nonsensical hearsay."

"Why are you defending him?" he asked, looking at me in a darker light. "Oh, I get it. He's the guy who broke your heart, huh?"

I pulled an ugly face. "Nobody broke my heart."