four

Maca,

I’m glad you decided to follow the letter and I really hope you liked what I prepared for you. I know it was silly but I hope you at least laughed. I remember when you said how hard it’s for you to smile sometimes so all I want to do today is that: to make you smile. I hope it’s working.

As You Like It is one of my favourite places and even if you don’t like this city much, I want to show you it is not that bad. Do you want me to show you the good places of this city?

I sigh as I keep reading the letter in his messy and masculine handwriting. Now I’m sure it belongs to a man and as I read how he wants to make me smile, I can’t help doing so. The smile is small but it’s there nonetheless and that’s wonderful. It is true that sometimes I can’t even fake smile and I’m impressed he remembers that and that he’s doing all this to help me.

And I do, I do want to see what this city has to offer. I want to see places like this café, places I will love and that I’ll miss when I leave. I want my stranger to show me these places, so I keep reading.

You once told me that you love books. Did you know there’s a book fair today? Well, this weekend and it ends today. It’s kind of small and they are all second hand books, but who knows? Maybe you can find your favourite there or your next favourite book. Would you like to go? You’ll find the instructions in the next page.

I’m sure if you go you’ll find another letter in the fair, just ask the man with three cats to give you the next letter.

I’ll see you soon (:

PS: No, I didn’t forget the next letter. It’s L.

H and L. I have no clue of what his name could be and I don’t even know if L is part of his surname or firs name but I know one thing for sure: I’m so going to that fair. And if there’s a man with three cats I think I’ll stay there forever. Cats are too cute to leave behind and if there are books I think it’s impossible. My stranger shouldn’t have picked this place as the second stop. Maybe I’ll just drop everything there and just call him H. I’ll leave him a post-it saying ‘sorry I didn’t make it. Got carried away with the books and cats.’ He should understand.

Shaking my head I turn the page and find the instructions. It’s not too far away and I’m eager to go so I put the pages inside the envelope and take out my journal and put them inside. I put the picture inside too, smiling at it. All the waiters are smiling and you can tell I’m having a great time, too. Long time since I looked happy in a picture, really happy.

Thank you, H. For this.

I leave a few pounds to pay for the breakfast and more for tip. They actually made me really happy this morning. I know they said —sang— that they don’t even work here but I hope that when I come back I can see them again, even if they don’t sing. I just… it’s hard to explain but I like them already because they didn’t have to do what they did. They helped a friend, they did a whole musical number for a stranger because their friend wanted to make a girl smile. They did it, they took part of something that just sounds crazy and that, that is amazing. And that’s why I like them all, these theatre geeks as they called themselves.

I leave the café knowing that I’ll be back, that I’ll come here over and over again and I’ll make this a regular for me. I have just accepted it.

I’m really happy I decided to follow my stranger’s letters and collect his name. Without a doubt is something that I would’ve never done before. Something I don’t think will ever happen and it’s a different experience. Something that I will never forget even if after I meet him I never see him again. This day is already unforgettable and it’s just begun.