14

late september, 1992

'vic! we have to go!' el hollered at me from the hallway as i finished putting on my heels for the dance. we were already late and me losing my earring did definitely not help the situation. i had to wear another pair of earrings, as trying to find the other pair was too time consuming. i settled on a pair of silver studs that steve had gotten me for my last birthday from tiffany & co.

i rushed out into the hallway, barely pausing to make sure my silver heels sat on right when there was a couple of knocks on the front door. el and I quickly fixed our hair as she opened the door for them. there stood harry, my date to the dance, wearing an all black (as always) suit, and el's date, dustin, wearing a bright blue, but faded, tuxedo. she sent me a wink as we went outside to them. dustin greeted el with a "sick" high five, and harry greeted me with a kiss on the cheek and a whisper to my ear claiming i looked beautiful. 

me and harry got into his range rover, which was a dark navy, almost black, color. it seemed as if he had gotten a new paint job but when the insides had a completely different leather and interior it was clear that this was a brand new car. it shouldn't have come as such a shock to me, since his parents are totally rich. one of the things i adored about harry, is that even though his parents have so much money, you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at him or from the way he acts. he always wears his beat up chelsea boots and black jeans and then a white shirt. he has some tattoos scattered across his left arm which i think are the absolute coolest thing in the entire planet. 

as we got to the homecoming dance after harry had found a place to park, students littered the entire gym and football field outside. he sighed, knowing harry he doesn't like crowded places. he prefers quietness even though he looks so tough and has the muscles to prove it. I gently rubbed my thumb over his knuckles that were gripped around a bottle of water he had laying in the cup holder. 'baby, it'll be fun, trust me. and we don't have to be here for long. and trust me, i'm only here to see how terrible el's date will be' i said with a laugh. soon after we were laughing about all the possible outcomes of her night. 

we walked into the crowded gym area and tried to enjoy it for as much time as possible, we really did; but the scene just wasn't for us. 'what'd you say we get out of here and go to sonic for fries and slushees?' harry whispered in my ear, causing a grin to spread on my face. i nodded and told him,'that would be great'.

after i said goodbye to el and dustin, we bolted. it was already almost seven, so the sun was beginning to set. we walked out in the golden light to harry's car, and got in after walking through the crowded parking lot. 

when we arrived at sonic, there was one other car there. and sitting on the hood of the car was richie, sitting and blowing smoke with a cigarette he had between his fingers. it didn't seem like a coincidence that he was there, and when we got out from harry's car the look richie sent me just confirmed my thoughts. 

he knew we were coming here