Chapter Twenty-Three

Laim still holds my hand when we jump out of the window. We run towards the woods, where the light was still flashing. Liam is holding his stomach with his other hand.

"Liam. Lexi. Over here." quietly calls from behind a grove of trees.

"We have about fifteen minutes before they realize we're gone." he says confidently. "My car's parked in the parking lot about a mile from here. If we hoof it, we'll make it before they realize we're gone."

Alarms start to go off and red lights start flashing around the compound.

"Or maybe they'll realize now." I say sarcastically.

Liam starts running, letting go of my hand. I immediately miss its warmth.

Mark takes my hand and we run after Liam. I hear gunshots richochetting off the tree behind us.

"Stop shooting you idiots! You could kill her!" yells Joey. "Go after them!"

I look at Mark, just to see his face set in determination. Then I realized. If he was caught, he'd be shot immediately. The same fate would await Liam. I was the one they wanted. And I was putting their lives in danger. Tears start streaming down my face. I look up ahead and see Liam standing next to a black car. Mark fumbles in his pockets and pulls out the keys and hands them to Liam. I run to the backseat and jump in. Mark slides into the front seat as Liam gets the car started.

"Go Liam." I say, panting.

"It's not starting!" he says, obviously panicking. Mark slams the dashboard in front of him.

"Come on!" Liam yells at the car, his hands shaking.

The engine revs and dies. I turn around to the back window and see flashlights coming closer. I close my eyes and sink into the seat. Liam turns the key again and the car roars to life. He shifts to drive and slams on the gas.

I turn in the backseat and watch as the men following us jump in their cars.

"Liam. They're following us."

A sudden shattering of glass brings me back to reality. The shards fall on me, cutting my exposed skin. I duck down.

"They're shooting, Mark." I say, near hysteria.

"Keep down Lexi." he syas in reply.

The chase was on.