Andelko disappeared. Seen from the ridge of the town center, a lone figure careened through a far avenue. The person disappeared in and out of light. She readied her horned spear and crouched behind the fountain for the figure was fast and close.

Footsteps stopped and searched. The boots were light and hesitant, not proud, militant, or controlling. Light or not, their language was to be feared. Yet their language or movement was the one she recognized.

"Kazimir?" Acacia whispered over the gurgling and sloshing of the fountain.

Kazimir raced over the expanse of the square running into Andelko. The fear drained from Andelko's face. Andelko grabbed Kazimir's shoulder, but his terseness faded when he saw Kazimir's robe.

"Brother? What brings you so late to the masked event?" Andelko welcomed the stranger in his robes.

Acacia shoved herself between Andelko and Kazimir. "We have too many worries, but I don't want that to ruin our time."

"I know," Kazimir said and hugged her anxiously. His fear showed gauntly in the lantern light. "The longer we stay here, the more predicaments find us."

"This can't be true," Acacia warned, "because you would never guess whom I've met, or what happened to them. Please, Kazimir, enjoy your time here as we wait for my new friends."

Kazimir rushed Acacia inside the wide pavilion not afraid to be seen under the cover of the crowd. Their abruptness confused Andelko.

"I'd like to know so much about your apprenticeship in Acropolis." Acacia questioned, "What news do you bring from home?" and in a whisper spoke, "of the other side?"

"I wanted to tell you sooner," his face darkened as he took her hand to dance. "Of Conrad—they held a memorial mass for him." His gall shuddered in fear, and in a quieter tone, "the entire city-state is searching for us. Your parents are trying best to cover it up, but I have an itch that some persons possess our whereabouts?"

"You mean—whereabouts of Acropolis?"

"I mean...yes." Although Kazimir knew he kept the knowledge hidden too long, it was still an affront to Acacia to reveal it at the town masquerade. He wondered if she was appalled by him. Even if the appall was unlikely he still feared her just reaction.

"And further—we may have something to do with Conrad's death."

Andelko retraced his steps from the far side of the party.

"Acacia, what brings you here? May I share this dance?"

When he saw her hesitation, he added, "Who better to dance with and besides, I must go over some techniques."

She nodded at Kazimir, and when she stood in front of Andelko, Acacia kept an eye on Kazimir until he fled to the far corner to meet fellow priests. "He never tires of his work, Andelko."

"He never does." The music sped up with the spirited tapping of drums and churning melodies of tamburitza, mandolin, and guitar. Andelko's feet were light and kept tempo but they stepped in and out. The folk dances were hard to keep up with as the music told the story of the heart of the fearful land. The sailor twirled and whirled, bringing Acacia back to the Dominium jazz clubs. Andelko swung her over his shoulders and a wooden mountain flute joined the choir.

Costumes from the party were just as lively and inviting. Soon everyone jostled to the same dance and the music grew in intensity.

"Your training has just begun," Andelko said giving her a kick in the knee.