Chapter 6 ~ Josh

"You're awake," a woman who looked to be in her ealy twenties smiled down at me as she spoke. I shoot her a questionable look, leading to her gave a weak laugh. "What's your name?" she asked a bit more seriously. "Um, Josh," I answered cautiously. "Well, Josh. Why don't we get some food into your system, and I'll see to it that the doctors comes in to check on you."

She wore a bright nurses uniform and her chocalote brown hair was pulled back into a tight bun. The lady reached for a tray of food on a nearby nightstand and set it in my lap. She then used a dial to adjust my bed into a sitting position. The woman began to walk towards the entrance of my room when I called out to her. "Excuse me?" She turned around and I took a moment to look at her nametag. "Kara, how exactly did I end up in a hospital?" 

"You were in a car accident with a drunk truck driver. Apparently as you were turning around he crossed into your lane and hit the end of your car." I remained silent as I starred down at the white sheets ontop of me. "Josh, try to eat something alright?" I nodded and Kara began to open the door. "Oh, and careful with that arm," she warned before walking out. 

I wonder if this is what it felt like to be Brooklyn those last two times she woke up in a hospital. Having no idea where she was or why. A sudden pounding in my head pulled me temporarily from my thoughts. I winced at the feeling and my hands cluched both sides of my head. Atleast I was there when she woke up though... God, I would do anything for her to be here with me now. Then an older man, whom I assumed was my doctor, walked into the room. "Hello Josh, how are you feeling?"

He sat on the corner of my bed and shinned a little light in both of my eyes. "Perfectly fine," I lied. "Well you don't look it," he stated. I sighed in disappoint. The man only laughed at me, "Don't worry I won't make you stay the night. You only have a broken arm and a minor concussion." I stared down at my cast.

"Well I guess that music video shoot is definitley on hold," I grummbled to myself. "Josh," he paused for a moment as I looked up at him. "You realize that if you hadn't of pulled into that other street when you did that truck would have hit you head on." I didn't respond because I was to busy soaking in this information. The doctor sighed and took off his glasses to rub his tired eyes. "You're lucky to be alive," he finished and walked out of the room. I sat there in silence untill Kara cleared her throat to get my attention.

"You're free to leave when ever you'd like. Stop by the front desk to get some pain releavers for your head. And don't worry about the insurance, the other driver has to pay for the damage to your car." I nodded and she left the room.

                                                                                             *   *   *

"Hey, Mike?" I could hear him sighing on the other end of the phone. "You realize everybodys kinda pissed at you. Espeacially Matt," he spoke."Yeah, yeah, I know. But listen I need a favor. I totaled my car and need a ride."

"Yeah, I know." I gave a puzzeled look even though he couldn't see it. "How-" I began. "It was on the news. Look, where are you at?"

"Um," I looked up at the hospital sign from where I stood in the parking lot, "Saint Mary's Hospital."

"Dude, do you realize how far away that is?"

"No, not really." I answered questionably. "Lets put it this way," he started, "I'll see you in about two hours." With that he hung up. I sat on the edge of the sidewalk thinking about what I was going to say or do to make Brooklyn forgive me. I was so deep into thought I didn't even notice Mike's car as it pulled up beside me. He spoke what I think was my name but I still hadnt noticed him. "Josh?" Mike said a little louder.

This time I  looked up at him. Mike had gotten out of his car and was standing infront of me. "Care to join me?" he asked a bit sarcastically. "Yeah," I said quietly because I still felt really bad for calling him an idiot. As I started to get up I realized it was impossible because of my useless arm. Mike turned to get into the drivers side. "Um, Mike. Could you give me a hand?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah, sorry," he said a little embarrassed. Which is ridiculous. I should be the one who was embarrassed. Once we were in the car and onto the highway I was the first one to speak. "Look, Mike. I'm really sorry for what I-" I began to apologize. "Forget about it." Mike glanced over at me to see me being taken aback by what he said. 

"Josh, it was pretty obvious that something was going on with you," he shrugged his shoulders, "I'm not going to take it personally." I nodded then said, "Well I'm sorry anyways." 

"Apology accepted," he said with a smile. I gave him a half smile and turned my head to stare out of the window. 

                                                                                    *   *   *

I swear I had only shut my eyes for a second but next thing I knew Mike was nudging my shoulder to wake me up. It must be an effect from the pain killers or maybe the concussion because normally I wouldn't be sleeping so frequently. We were in my driveway. "Ready?" he asked. I let out a nervous sigh, "Yeah." I tiredly stummbled into my front door. I only had a second to examine Brooklyn's frail state.

She had her hands folded into a praying position and pressed to her lips. Brooklyn's hair was messy and in her face as an attempt to hide the tears in the corners of her sad eyes. But then she saw me. "Brook-" I started, but she knocked the wind out of me. In the good way. Brooklyn's arms were wrapped so tightly around me I could hardly breathe. "I'm so happy you're okay, I thought you might have been-" but she couldn't bring herself to say it. Instead she took her head off of my chest to look me in the eyes.

I pulled her close one last time and whispered in her ear, "I'm so sorry. I wasn't thinking." Our hug didn't last long because soon after angry footsteps were bounding down the stairs. Matt push Brooklyn aside and grasped the front of my shirt. He pushed me up against the wall with his arm winded back ready to impack my face at any moment. "Matt!" Myranda schreeched somewhere behind us. There were tears in the corners of his eyes.

"Matt, let him go!" Myranda pleeded. "No," I spoke suddenly. The room fell silent and I sighed. "I deserve it." Matt's teeth clenched and his arm lowered. Suddenly he used the grip on my shirt to throw me into him as his arms wrapped around me. "I'm happy you're okay you lucky bastard."

I hugged him back with the one good arm I had. "I can't tell you how sorry I am," I mummbled over his shoulder. I could feel the anger fleeting his muscels as they relaxed, even though I knew how bad he wanted to hit me originally. When he let me go I lightly tapped his shoulder and glanced over to Myranda. "To the both of you. I was angry, and wrong to blame you for it." I gave Myranda a big hug. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I just hope you can forgive me." 

"I forgive you," she mumbled into my shirt and I realized I was probably hugging her to tightly. I gently let Myranda go as Matt drifted towards her to wrap his arms around her waist. Ian and Jonathan walked over to me to give me hugs and to brush away my apologies as if what I said had never fased them. Soon the house emptied and Brooklyn and I were left alone. I waved goodbye to Jonathan who was the last one to exist the doorway. As I closed it I took a deep breath, "Brooklyn," I began turning into her direction. Before I could continue her lips were on mine. "I love you," she mumbbled before she went in for another.

I felt her arms cross behind my neck and legs wrap around my hips. "Brooklyn," I said in a stronger tone. She pulled away and hopped to the floor. "What is it," she asked. "How can you forgive me so easily?" She gave a puzzled expression so I continued. "I screwed up... big time, and you just ran right back into my arms and I don't get it." I took her hand and pulled her close forcing her to look me in the eyes.

"How can you love someone who's made so many mistakes?" I finished. Brooklyn looked at the ground for what seemed like a very long time before she reached up and placed her hands on my cheeks her fingernails gliding through my long hair. "I've wanting to ask you the same thing since the day you first told me you loved me," she whispered and kissed me again.