4. | Leave Magic Behind |

A blue light snakes through each individual vein, coursing through and gathering in the heart

A blue light snakes through each individual vein, coursing through and gathering in the heart. Cold, icy, nullifying. Every last fiber of mana restores the strength lost in passing days of revitalization.

I can stand up completely straight, see more clearly than I have in over a decade and the organ replacing my heart begins to shift and awaken.

"You just killed a person..." Theron mumbles under his breath. "You really just killed a person."

My eyes roll mechanically, my body unable to restrain all the facets of incredulity. "Yes, I killed someone. Wasn't it you who appropriately established my role as death?"

Daniel walks over and nudges the dead woman's head over with the heel of his boot. The light left her open eyes minutes ago and though I did not have to subdue her, she appeared exhausted and weak from a long time of surviving on her own.

The two other girls disappeared east, most likely ducking into one of the many burnt down buildings and praying this is all simply a dream. It isn't. Their friend is dead beneath us and I do not regret a second of it.

"I didn't think you'd actually kill them!" He yells, panic riding his voice.

Taking a deep breath, I pinch the bridge of my nose and look up. "Theron, you were going to die. Those women were going to murder you three execution style. I might not have made any sort of agreement with you about protecting you - nor do I entirely care - but I at least wanted to make sure we'd have the chance to make those decisions for ourselves. Haven't you ever killed a man? This is anarchy."

"I've killed," Daniel says rather nonchalantly. "I've killed a few times actually, but for the most part people stay away from each other."

My eyes stay trained on Theron, hoping he'll find the balls to answer my question. Even as he squirms, I feel no remorse for sitting him in the hot seat.

He drops his pack on the ground, starting to relax a little bit from the adrenaline. "No, I've never killed anyone..."

"Amazing," I tsk, laughing to myself. "The man who threatened to kill me within seconds of stumbling upon my camp has never taken a life. You seem to know the logistics of anarchy without truly being able to put up. And I thought you'd be able to defend the best out of the three of you... Of course not."

"Hey, I don't-"

"You don't what, Theron?" I snap, venom pouring into my words for the first time. "What could a self-absorbed Destroyer like you have on me? What could you possibly say to me that I haven't heard before? I am ancient, I am infinite, I was born long before this planet and I will live past its existence. You are a speck of dust. A blip on the radar of this history. So tell me, what do you have that I don't?"

He closes his lips, terror reaching his eyes for once as he withdraws into himself and turns away.

Such a broken, self-loathing idiot.