"But would they fight a killer squirrel for you?"

****This chapter contains mature content and sex scenes! ****

Conn had been my shadow for the last week, we didn't speak much, but wherever I went he was hovering a little way away, ready to thwart any of James's attempts to speak to me. It was more of a relief than he knew.

Lotte had barged into my apartment one night and demanded to know if Conn, who at that moment was digging into a plate of noodles on my couch, and I were sleeping together. After about three hours of convincing I had finally told her enough of James Harrington and I's history to get her to drop her theory of a Shay-Conn merger. She had then very kindly offered an alarmingly well thought out plan to 'make James disappear,' it had been firmly declined and Conn and I had shared slightly alarmed glances, making mental notes never to piss Lotte off again. It had also explained why my phone was lying dead and buried in my bedroom drawer.

When James had failed at banging down my door that night, he had taken to calling me incessantly, followed by a stream of texts. It was easy enough not to recharge it when it had run out of battery.

I smiled as I felt Carlita's rubbery lips dig in my pockets searching for treats.

"Alright, one more," I laughed fishing the last sugar cube out of my pocket and letting her lip it greedily off my palm.

"You're such a soft touch," a voice laughed, making me jump, I whipped around to see Penn leaning against the wall.

"Penn, what are you doing here?" I stuttered in surprise.

"I had to bring a horse over, Julia called my dad and said that she had a buyer she thought would fit one of our stallions." He walked forward and ran his hand down Carlita's neck, "I was also wondering why your phone goes straight to voice mail."

He didn't look at me but I could hear that he was forcing his light tone of voice. I looked down at Carlota's bridle and fiddled with the reins in my hand.

"Sorry, it's been a long week," I mumbled.

"What's been going...."

Before he could finish his sentence the obnoxious American voice that had become my personal demon broke through and made me jump.

"Shay, won't you come help me untack," He clopped up to the wash bay on a frothing five year old and sneered down at me.

"I'll do it," Conn replied, stepping out of the neighbouring stall, shooting a filthy look at Penn and then practically dragging the horse out from under James.

I flipped Carlita's bridle on, desperately hoping I could escape this situation.

"James," Penn sticks his hand out, stiff as a board.

I see James look him up and down, his nose wrinkles and he sneers, I know what's coming before he says it. "Have we met?"

I see Penn do a goldfish impersonation, his face flushes in anger and he drops his hand. James doesn't wait for him to say anything he turns on his heel and heads down the aisle towards the kitchen.

"I have to go ride," I mutter as Penn turns to look at me, I can see he has a million questions, and so do I, but I don't have the energy to deal with them now.

"Penn!" Julia's voice distracts him and I lead Carlita out of the washday to the mounting block, zipping up my jacket and deciding the wintery sunshine is worth the outing. I hopped lightly into the saddle and picked up my reins, letting Carlita march off in the direction of the newly thawed trails.

I took a deep breath and let the cold air chill my lungs, rolling my shoulders trying to shake the James induced stress of the past week. 'He's finally leaving, all you have to do is dodge him for a few more hours,' I tell myself. The trail wanders past the empty paddocks and I smile as Carlita makes a habit of spooking at absolutely nothing, just as I feel myself beginning to relax I hear my name being called, I whip around to see Penn astride one of Julia's mares trotting to catch up.