Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Alice looked up quickly as a sound like a gunshot boomed outside.

Thunder.

Torrents of rain splashed the high windows, darkening the room, apart from the periodic flash of lighting, which would be followed by a loud crack of thunder. She wrapped her shawl around her shoulders tightly, bracing herself against the cold autumn chill seeping through the cracks under the doors. She stepped slowly towards the window, seemingly in a trance. Her heels clicked on the hardwood floor. She put out her hand, her fingertips touching the cold window pane. Frost started to form around her fingertips, spreading across the glass. Her heart started to beat faster. The frost spread quickly along the other panes, like water pouring on a flat surface. She could hear each beat of her heart, resounding loudly in her ears.

"Alice."

Quickly she withdrew her hand to her side, wiping it on her dark blue gown. She bowed her head, and slowly turned around to see him grimace.

"Awful weather, isn't it?"

There he was, her suitor. Ten years her senior, unbelievably handsome, and charming. Except, of course, that she did not love him. She sighed.

"Yes, it is," she answered. She turned her head back to the window. The frost was gone, as if it had never been there. Instead was just those cold, wet window panes. She stared out at the red and orange-yellow trees waving wildly in the wind, and saw the puddles gathering on the stone path leading to the garden.

"Alice," he urged, "I came to visit you."

She groaned internally. Taking a deep, reassuring breath, she turned around with a pretty smile. "A friendly visit, I presume," she replied.

She saw him flinch in the slightest way; a tightening of his jaw, the quick movement of his eyes. He obviously did not think so. Silence ensued.

To avoid the awkward moment to continue, she gestured towards a plush chair. "Please, sit down."

He kept his eyes downcast and moved towards the chair. He sat down and watched her as she moved gracefully towards the chair facing opposite him. She sat down with a whoosh, the folds of her skirt falling prettily around her waist, making the movement look effortless. 

"Would you like a cup of tea?"

"No, no thank you," he said almost immediately. She could tell he was impatient to get to his point, whatever it was.

"Ah." She smoothed her skirts, looking anywhere but his eyes. Her hands folded themselves in her lap. "And to what do I owe you this pleasant visit?"

"Alice, I have been thinking of you constantly."

Oh, no. This couldn't be! she thought in despair, but kept the pretty smile on her face.

"That is very kind of you," she answered politely.

"Do you love me?" he asked suddenly.

It became very quiet in the room. One could hear the soft whisper of air under the doors, the quiet crackle of the flames in the fireplace, and even little mice scampering through the walls.

Alice was overwhelmed. Not with happiness, but with fear. "Why do you ask?" she said, flustered.

"Because I intend to marry you," he said softly, his green eyes boring into her brown ones. The look on her face was of pure shock. He got up, reaching a hand into his pocket, and walked the short distance to her chair. He opened a case, and a glittering diamond ring appeared. "Alice Jane Tutmore, will you be my wife?"

Alice gripped the chair, her knuckles going white. Her heart beat like a drum.

"No."

The word came out harsher than she intended. In a flash she was on her feet, her skirts rustling about her as she stomped out of the room. The door shut with a bang.

And poor Charles was left there, holding a case with a diamond ring in his hand, sitting on the floor, staring at the spot where his beloved had sat only moments ago.