3 - The Contest

Mick was an ardent e-stalker of Nohm. He kept updated on every bit of news that trickled from different sources. His closest friends were the fans of Nohm he constantly chatted with and they shared a common passion for Nohm's music. The girls would fan girl over Noh and Ohm, there were few guy crushes as well, Mick was one amongst them. BB & Boys promoted the band aggressively and their popularity was soaring. There was an online contest opened for the fans. The questions allowed the fans to answer an intimate detail of any of the member. The 4 winners would be personally selected by the Nohm members individually and will get to participate in a lunch or dinner date with the member.

Noh: What is written on the metal tag that Noh wears all the time?

Ohm: What was Ohm's favourite musical instrument during his high school days?

Boy 1: His first gift to his parents after the first pay cheque.

Boy 2: What was the name of his first pet?

Mick knew the answer to the questions for both Noh and Ohm but he chose to answer for Ohm. He entered the contest and send his response as soon as the contest opened online. Mick was excited. This would probably be the first time getting in direct touch with Ohm. Ohm would read his answer and probably laugh. Mick smiled at the thought and started his day on a very good note. 

His class comprised of a few students that day. They loved their piano teacher. Mick was gentle with all the students and never raised his voice. While he was demonstrating a piece on the piano for the students, his phone buzzed. Unknown number.

'Hello?' he almost whispered as he was still in the class when he picked up the phone.

'Mick? Is this Mick? Mick?' Click. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Mick quickly strode out of the class and straight to the empty teacher's lounge. He sat at his desk and stared at the number. It was Ohm. His Ohm. His horn tutor back from the high-school. Memories and flashback stupefied Mick. He felt a slight chill yet was sweating bullets. His hand was holding the phone tight and he could still hear Ohm's deep voice on the phone that called his name - 3 times. It kept ringing in his ears, distinctly Ohm. 

The phone rang again. He tried to ignore it by quickly shoving it in the drawer. It kept ringing. It didn't give up. Mick was nervous and his hands were trembling as he slowly picked up the phone again. He answered the phone after clearing his throat. 

'Mick. I know its you. Mick? Can you say something?'

'Ohm....*Sawasdee Khap* ....  How have you been?'

Ohm on the other side of the line was wiping away a teardrop that had let itself lose. Hearing Mick's gentle voice made him tear up. He was right. It was Mick who had answered that question - it was the wrong answer but to Ohm, it was the perfect one. Horn. Mick had answered it as Horn, the instrument that had brought them close. From the 100s of responses, it was only Mick who had responded as Horn. 

'I am doing well Mick, how about you? Where are you these days Mick? I know, we lost connection and I meant to re-connect but things got so busy with the band and the last I heard you had moved elsewhere. But am so glad I found you. Mick, can we meet? I really want to see you. I can't believe I am talking to you right now. It would be great to catch up. Noh and Phun are the only people...' Ohm was cut off as Mick blurted, 'I am married, Ohm'. 

Ohm went quiet. It wasn't what he expected to hear from Mick after stumbling into him after 8 years or so. Ohm thought he misheard. He asked, 'Mick, did you say you were married?' 

'Yes Ohm. I have been married for 5 years now. My wife's name is Mary.'

There was silence....... Soft breath, inhaling and exhaling in a steady manner.

'I didn't know..... Mick, then I should congratulate you!' Ohm spoke up.' Wow.. I didn't expect but its great to know you've settled down. Please give my regards to your wife.'

'Why should I?' Mick's voice suddenly hardened. The tone had changed. There was a tinge of anger. 'Why should I talk to my wife about you? She doesn't know anything about my past or yours. I am sorry but please don't call me on this number anymore.' The last sentence felt like a punch. 

'Mick, Mick... don't hang up the phone yet. I am sorry, I carelessly said things I shouldn't have. You are right. I am sorry Mick. It's just that I didn't know how to react to the news of your marriage. I am happy for you, I truly am. Can we please still stay in touch? I'd really like that. It's been so many years and I don't want to lose you again, as a friend. Mick? Mick?'

Mick was listening to all the rantings by Ohm. He was rambling it all in one breath. He didn't know, a phone call with Ohm would overwhelm him to this degree. He was on an emotional roller coaster ride, one that shook him to the core. Did Ohm still have such influence on him? He thought he was over him and he was just happy being one of the million fans, listening to his songs and supporting the band.

'Ohm, I have to go now. Don't call me. I will call you, when I am ready to call you,' and with that he hung up. 

Ohm kept shouting Mick's name on the phone. He was about to go crazy. He wasn't allowed to call and he was asked to maintain a distance, now that Mick was a married man. The invisible wall had gone up. He didn't realize how much he still loved Mick until now. He had numbed all his longing for Mick when Mick disappeared from the city one day. His parents had refused to tell Ohm about Mick's whereabouts. Noh had helped him a great deal in trying to locate Mick. It was as if Mick had died. Ohm was a wreck during those years and Noh had found a way to salvage what was left of Ohm through music. 

When Mick's parents found out about his relationship with Ohm, they tried to dissuade him. The never ending trips to clinics and specialists had begun despite Mick's protests. His parents didn't hear him. They took away his phone and cut off all his connections with Ohm. Mick wanted to run away from the torture of 'reforming'. Days and nights of mental battle wrecked Mick's health. Mick was shuttled away to another city where he was enrolled in a 3 year program that treated young vulnerable boys to become a wholesome man again! Mick lost the battle this time.