17 - Doubts

Jay the found herself stepping into Luke's quarters. His bed was once again messily made and his desk was covered with maps. Fresh sunlight poured in through the glass doors that led outside to the deck. Luke sat down in his  chair across from Jay, propping his feet up. Jay quickly sat down and looked to him, waiting to hear what he was going to say.

"You've probably have been wondering how exactly I'm going to take down the gods, yes?" he asked.

Jay nodded in response. Luke leaned forward and sighed, biting his lip.

"I have a titan on my side. Kronos."

Jay pondered for a moment and then looked at him.

"Isn't he the one who ate the gods?" she asked nervously. She had remembered the mythology books she read back at camp.

"Yes. He has as much hatred towards them as we do. I'm using the fleece to revive him." Luke explained. However, Jay didn't understand.

"How?" she asked.

"His remains are in Tartarus. However, when a demigod joins my side, a piece of him surfaces. I'm using the fleece to speed up the process." A smirk formed onto his lips.

No wonder there were demigods on the ship. Jay thought. Still, she felt uneasy about the idea of bringing Kronos to life.

"What happens when he's healed?" she asked.

Luke's demeanor changed slightly. The boy seemed nervous now.

"I'm proudly going to host his spirit."

Jay felt a whir of emotions hit her all at once.  Host his spirit??

"What? You mean he's going to possess you?" she cried out. Then she realised. The dream she had about Luke, it made sense. His eyes were golden.

"It's not as bad as it seems, Jay. With my body he'll be able to destroy Olympus." he responded calmly. However his statement didn't reassure her.

"No. That's a terrible idea, Luke."

Luke crossed his arms, disapproval showing on his face.

"It's the only way. Trust me, will you?"

Jay looked down, hating the idea. She desperately wanted to tell him about her dream, but she knew it wouldn't persuade him. Luke Castellan was dead set on destroying Olympus, brick by brick. No matter the risk that comes to him.
But at the same time, Jay felt frustrated and angry.

"You're just gonna give yourself up like that? What if it fails? You can't do it, Luke." she huffed.

Luke's expression turned to anger, him frustrated for her lack of faith in him.

"I thought you trusted me. Look, this is the way I'm doing this. You can't go back to camp, so I suggest going along with it." he snapped. He then lifted up his arm and showed it to her. Burned on the skin of his wrist was the shape of a scythe. He was branded like an animal.

"You see this? I pledged to Kronos. He's our only way to do this. And you need to pledge too." he huffed.

At that moment, Jay felt her feelings get hurt by his sharpness. She was also shocked to see the mark on his wrist. But her point still stood.

"You need me, don't you? For my powers. I knew it. That's the only reason why I'm here." She argued.

Luke felt himself falter, his expression changing into guilt, confirming her beliefs. Jay's face then showed hurt, tears welling in her green eyes.

"I knew it. I gave up my family for you, Luke! And I'm just an asset to your plan?"

Luke felt his heart tear as he panicked, not knowing what to do.

"Jay! It's not like that!" he cried.

Still, Jay's worries and doubts tightened their hold on her heart. All the past traumas of her childhood and her feelings of abandonment and loneliness propelled it.
Suddenly, she stormed out of the room. The boy she left behind silently scolded himself for being harsh. He then stepped out and followed the girl.

Jay sat in a lonely corner of the deck, her eyes closed and her shoulders drooped. A moment later, Luke was sitting by her, thinking of what to say.

"Look...Jay, I never meant to hurt you." he said surprisingly in a soft tone.

Jay hesitantly turned to look at him, hurt showed in her face, but also fear.

"I don't want you to get hurt is all..I don't trust Kronos." she admitted. Luke nodded in return and sighed.

"I know it sounds fishy, but I pledged to him. When this is all over, we'll all be alright. The gods will be gone and demigods safe."

Jay looked down at the water and tensed up when Luke set a hand on her shoulder.

"You mean more to me now. I don't care as much about your abilities. I care about you." Luke confessed.

Jay sat silent for a moment, a blush creeping on her cheeks.

"You mean that? You truly do?" she asked in a small voice.

"Yes. I do." He answered, his face showing nervousness, but also determination.

"How do I know you're not lying.." Jay stated, doubts once again creeping onto her heart.

What Luke did next shocked her to the core. It left her paralyzed and exhilarated at the same time.

He kissed her.

Jay had never kissed anyone before, so what do do next, she didn't know. So, she just closed her eyes and relaxed, a swarm of butterflies captured in her core. To her slight disappointment, Luke pulled away. A shy yet mischievous grin painted his face, meanwhile a red blush painted hers.

"Sorry..if that was uh, too soon." Luke apologized, but there was no need.

"I've never kissed anyone before.." Jay admitted quietly, a bit embarrassed.
However, Luke smiled softly at her bashfulness.

"Well I'm glad that I was your first." he smiled proudly.

Jay let out a happy chuckle and smiled, her eyes sparkling. She couldn't believe that someone, especially Luke, would feel that way about her. She always brushed off his flirting as satire.

"So..if we're gonna do this, we'll do this together?" Luke asked, gently taking her hands into his.

Jay nodded and sighed in relief. Right now, she felt that she could actually trust Luke wholeheartedly. Yet, she was still nervous. The girl had never been in a relationship before, not to mention they had a serious mission ahead of them. The thought began to dampen her spirits, so she pushed them to the back of her mind.

Luke was still smiling at her as he gently helped her up. Jay gazed at the ocean ahead of them.

"It'll all work out." Luke said softly, his hand rubbing her shoulder. Jay relaxed and smiled slightly, ready to take the mission ahead.

"Just need some more time to build my army. After that, next stop is New York city." Luke said, confidence in his voice. Jay listened, although reassured, she was still fearful of Kronos' plan to possess Luke. It just didn't sound right.

The two demigods then gazed at the horizon together, both in their own thoughts.  Meanwhile, the restless spirit of Kronos below deck wasn't very pleased.