レーガノミックス&・・・「cue ELEVATOR MUSIC」

21 October 1987

No faith in automated trading. No more faith in the Chinese. Georgia corrected him that Hong Kong was an administrative region of China. He told her that it didn't matter, he was only in this class for his general ed courses. Georgia retorted that he shouldn't voice his ignorant political opinions if he couldn't back them up. He called her a "bitch" a little too loudly, and was chewed out by the mildly feminist professor, schooled on the spot in elementary gender studies in the middle of international politics.

24 September 2013

Does she even know she's worshipped like Venus? Her hair is a lush river in a dark shade of espresso. Her skin is the color of cream lightly kissed by the sun. Her eyes twinkle like the reflecting pool of the Kinkakuji. She has natural childbearing hips and a curvacious body that would even tempt a head monk's son to sin, O DEUS! But the thing about her that is most ace is the way she shreds that cello. Ms. Breckinridge, the music teacher, believes her to be a musical prodigy. I believe it. Her rendition of Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre had me in tears at our Spring Talent Showcase. It was dark and sensual, as mysterious and distant as she always is-

31 December 1994

"Well it's quite simple how we got here, Eddie. We trusted too much in the UK and in China. Franco-Japanese relations have always been strong - well, if we excuse the brief warfare in French Indochina - while all we ever seem to make is enemies. Ever wonder what the phrase "Praise Tsunenaga" means? It's a symbol for their bond and their commitment to have each others' backs in times of crisis. They helped build each other from the ground up. The US assumed we could do it all by ourselves, manipulating the smaller people and reigning supreme over everyone else. But as you see, that notion completely blew up in our faces. We focused on too many external issues while our internal needs were completely ignored. Sure, taxes were cut, but so were social programs while the government funneled in billions into the military's budget. Did they even care about the starving and homeless people within their own country? The well-off were now able to buy more, and that they did, which the lower classes went hungry. The government funneled more money into the military and less into another sector (what I think was their biggest mistake): American agriculture. Farmers no longer had the means to produce their crops, we had a major shortage, and fresh fruits and vegetables became severely overpriced. Soon enough, even the well-off joined in to protest the ridiculous price they had to pay just for fresh food. Some chose to give up and spend each meal at a different fast-food restaurant,while others lobbied against corporations and businesses to increases wages so that all could afford to eat healthy. Under enough pressure and taking the threats they received as absolutely serious, they all agreed to increase wages, but therefore had less to invest in the business and therefore exported less because less money was being used to grow the business and therefore the nation's economy. The nation continued to suffer under the weight of its national deficit and consumer debt. No one had enough money to save, the unemployed began to suffer immensely, and we all thought our nation would fall into ruin having gotten itself too deep into that recession. But They saved us. 'Harmony, Cooperation, Balance', They said. That is what saved us from this financial crisis. Now we live in a world of pure bliss. This system will always prevail. As long as we are no longer divided and learn to work as a unit, we can never fail." Eddie took another hit of the blunt. "Nev, you are a goddamn genius. You should run for president someday." Nev shook his head humbly, grabbed the blunt, took a hit, and French inhaled.  "I just know my history, bud. You've got the real political capital, and charisma, to lead this country as a future shogun-president."