Chapter 1

[ Rebecca's house in the picture ^ ]

🤍 Rebecca's  POV 🤍

"Bex!" My best friend Sarah yelled from my foyer, "are you coming or not?"

I rushed down the stairs, my long brown hair flying into my face. I groaned, pulling out a rubber band from my jeans pocket and tied my hair in a high ponytail.

"Sorry I'm late," I apologised sheepishly.

Sarah crossed her arms and tapped her foot impatiently. "Seriously Bex? How much time do you need to get ready for a plane? It's not a fucking party!" She groaned. She had always been like that, punctual and all, and got irritated if we made her late. I was clearly the exact opposite. 

"Stop complaining and let's go, or we'll get even more late."

I pulled my pink suitcase behind me and walked side by side with Sarah, till we reached our driveway.

I groaned. "Smithers!" I yelled. "God! Where is he? I gave him our schedule!"

I paced around, frustrated. Sarah's mood was infectious and now I couldn't help being irritated.

Yes, we were flying from our private jet, but we still needed to reach London on time.

Settling in, stocking our kitchen, getting the stationary and stuff. We had so much to do before university started next Monday.

"Just call him, babe," Sarah suggested.

I pulled out my IPhone 11 Pro max, and quickly dialed Smithers.

"Where are you? I informed you that you had to drop us at the airport." I didn't give him even a chance to greet me as he picked up my call.

"Sorry, Miss Rebecca. Your father had an urgent meeting and I had to drop him. I'm just around the corner, I'll be there soon." He informed me.

Smithers was our Majordomo, and I was closer to him than my parents. He would drive me on special occasions and today was one such day. My parents were never around for me. Whenever I had my annual sports meets or competitions, my parents always had some pathetic excuse regarding why they couldn't attend. So Smithers was there for me, cheering for me when I won and consoling me when I lost.

He didn't have his own family. He had worked all his life for my father, we were practically his family. And he was mine.

Even today, with their only daughter going away to college, my parents would already have some excuse ready as to why they couldn't even say bye properly. I was used to it by now. It shouldn't affect me as much now, but it still did sometimes.

Sarah tapped away on her phone and when Smithers emerged at the doorstep, she looked up.

"Miss Rebecca, Miss Sarah, please get in the car. Your luggage has already been sent to the jet."

Great.

We huddled in the car and Smithers drove us as fast as he could.

"Are you excited? God, I'm so excited!" I gushed, rubbing my palms on my jeans.

"Hell yeah," Sarah said with wide eyes and pulled me into a side hug. "I'm so happy we're attending university together in London. It has been our dream for as long as I can remember."

"I know! What about the apartment?" I asked.

We've always wanted the normal college life before real life started, but our parents wouldn't let us stay in dorms. They'd scoff at us and tell us they had apartments and houses in every country, we could easily stay in them, so why stay in a college dorm? Sarah and I absolutely refused. We wanted the real college experience. Or at least as real as we could get, keeping in mind our family backgrounds.

"Well, you see...." Sarah started, "We'll not be living alone. I convinced them to let us share an apartment with other kids from our own college. So that way, we'll live in an apartment according to our parents' wishes, and we'll live with our own mates, so we'll have our own experience."

"Who are we going to stay with?"

"Just some of the other kids from our own college." She pulled out her phone and started scrolling through her Instagram. One by one, she showed me who all we would be living with.

"This is Ivan Garćia Hill, and his twin sister Maria Garćia Hill. That's Leo Smith. And that's Theo Wilson. They're so cute, right?"

One guy, in particular, caught my eye. "Especially him," I pointed to the guy Sarah had called Ivan, "he's really attractive."

"Mhmm mhhmmmm," Sarah teased me and smirked. "You want to call dibs?"

I laughed. It was our thing. Whenever one of us found someone super attractive, we would call dibs on him, meaning one of us would have the 'rights' to woo that person. "Definitely."

"How did you contact them, though?" I asked.

"Well, since none of us wanted to give up on a normal college experience, I straight up told mom we're doing it our way. Then she made me a bargain," Sarah shrugged. "So she contacted some people and she found that these kids were looking for someone from their college to rent out with them. I called up and had a talk with Maria. She seemed really nice, by the way, so don't stress over it. And I didn't think you'd mind." She added.

"I don't, obviously. So we're paying for the apartment?"

"Yeah, monthly. I paid the advance, though. It's a normal college life, Bex."

"Or at least as normal as it can get." I scoffed.

After we boarded the plane and sat comfortably on the recliners, the air hostess offered us wine, juice, and snacks.

"Do you think they'll like us?" I asked, munching on my favorite chips as I leaned back comfortably.

I still felt nervous. Wouldn't it be strange to live with people you don't even know?

"Why are you feeling nervous? They'll love us, we're amazing babe. Or if they don't, they can't do anything about it," she shrugged, "we've already paid advance."

"So what? It's not like we lack money. If they don't like me, I wouldn't want to stay with them."

"Normal college experience," she reminded me. "Just relax and be yourself, Bex. Stop overthinking. You're amazing and they'll love you, just like I do."

I leaned over to give her a hug. "Thanks," I muttered, "for doing this with me. You're the best, S."

"I know. You're the second-best B. That's why we're best friends."

* * *

Hi!!! I know it's a bit slow, but I promise the story will start picking up pace soon. So hang on there, loves!

Tell me your thoughts on the chapter, on Rebecca, or on Sarah. Or all of them, I don't mind, hehe.

Love,

S 🍕

VOTE & COMMENT